Vista won't boot up...Vista Complete PC Restore states 'No valid backup location could be found'?

'No valid backup location could be found'?

Hi,

Here is the story. Bought a Toshiba laptop on ebay, the seller cleaned the hard drive before sending it out and it seems the operating system has been wiped out too...

The seller sent me a Vista recovery cd. I wait for "toshiba" logo to appear, then press F12 to enter setup options. Choose CD/DVD, then after Windows loads the files it gives me 2 options: "Install now" and "Repair your computer".

Plan A: If I press Install now it asks for product key which I do not have. So ignore it and press Next. And this is where I get stuck.It tells me it cannot open the required file Install.wim. Error code 0x80070002. So my Plan A does not really work.

Plan B: I go back to the original menu and press "Repair your computer". It asks me to select an operating system from the list (...there is none!) or, if there is none, to click "Load drivers". I do not think I have the drivers...so I do nothing.

Plan C: There is also another Next option. I am asked to choose a recovery tool:

1. Start up repair (Message: Start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically)

2. System restore. (To perform an offline system restore you must specify which windows installation you would like to restore---I do not know which command to enter here)

3. Windows complete PC restore (No valid backup locations could be found)

4. Windows memory diagnostic tool (No sure if it has anything to do with my problem)

5. Command prompt (Have not tried it...)

I tried everything over and over again but with no luck... Did you have a similar problem before? Do you know what it is and why it is happening? Will I be able to fix it myself or is it something serious that needs to be fixed by a specialist?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

• Mark N
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like he deleted the operating system off of the hard drive. So in turn the only work around not having a product key is to not register your copy of vista, which will not be good but for 30 days from the time you load it.

You have two choices, get back with the guy and get the product key from him for your copy of windows or this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8... Windows7 OEM edition 64bit... I would choose to go with 7 personally anyways, runs everything much faster than vista...

• pinard

Windows Complete Pc Restore

• Jonyl

I have a Toshiba laptop running on Vista. But when i format and reinstall Vista from both the Toshiba cd-roms or DVDs i am not asked for a product key? I think the key is incorporated in the CD/DVD, and the Microsoft key can be found under the laptop (hologram sticker) unless this was removed?

Try Plan A again, but clean the disc first. You should be able to install Vista without a product key, but you will need to call Microsoft after it is installed and explain the situation to them. I think they will simply issue you a new product key.