Dot
Dot asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 10 years ago

Whatever happened to providing for your children?

A single mother of six is living in a £2 million house in Sir Paul McCartney's neighbourhood at the expense of the taxpayer.

Jobless Essma Marjam, 34, is set to receive £6,400 a month in housing benefits to rent the five-bedroom property yards from Lord's Cricket Ground in St John's Wood.

Ms Marjam said: “I'm entitled to a five bedroom house. I was in a three bedroom council house but I needed a bigger place once my new baby came along so the council agreed to pay the £1,600 a week to a private landlord as they didn't have any houses big enough.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-238...

I'm sorry but she's "entitled" to live there? By paying her way? Her ex-husband is a solicitor, so where's his contribution? And she has the nerve to complain that the house is too big to furnish!

Similarly a mother of eight is living on housing benefit in a £2.6million home provided by her London council.

Francesca Walker told of her new life in the Notting Hill townhouse which costs taxpayers £90,000 a year. "I've lived in overcrowded flats on estates with gangs that kicked our door in and harassed my children, but now we're living on a street of millionaires."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-236...

Best Answer

These stories leave me sighing with a mixture of disgust & frustration.

As they are far from exceptions they are becoming more & more common place.

It's almost like they're rubbing our noses in it.

I can't stand inequality or special treatment for one particular group over another, it breeds contempt & does nothing for community relations.

I read about traveller families given rows of council houses where the locals don't get a look in, the travellers then sublet the properties keeping the cash & when confronted blame the council for not providing transit/permanent sites!

I read about Migrants who do the same thing, claiming for all benefits from rent to child allowances TWICE & being paid.

I feel sorry for genuine asylum seekers & economic migrants who want to work hard building a better life for themselves but find themselves surrounded by untrustworthy, less than honest con-artists who have no intention of doing the right thing.

We are a soft touch for all waifs & strays that know all the fiddles all the cons.

Yep it makes me sigh.

My country has become a laughing-stock worldwide, gone to the dogs thanks to so many years of ineptitude from a government without principles, morals or common sense.

I agree to an extent as sometimes I feel as if I'm a second class citizen as the single mothers seem to get all the rights above me as I'm waiting for the right man until I have children, but as they have children they're also looked after by the state. I had to pay a lot of money for a course but there are single mothers on my course who had it funded. I agree women shouldn't have children as a meal ticket, but if men didn't act the way they do they wouldn't need to. At one time a man wouldn't be able to do anything sexual to a woman until he gave her respect and commitment but nowadays girls are encouraged to sleep around with anybody so the men don't have to bother treating a woman with respect. Why do we just accept that men can't control themselves and do nothing but use women, instead of expecting them to support the mother of their children so the state doesn't have to do it?

Thank Labour and the most prudent chancellor of all time. James Gordon Brown.

I'll work 40 hours a week for the next 50 years and never get to live in a place like that.

That's complete b-------. My friends sister works two jobs, goes to school, and lives in a one bedroom apartment with her boyfriend and son. She doesn't get child support. She doesn't live in a perfect neighborhood. But that doesn't make her entitled to anything. She needs a bigger place to live, but she's not going to go asking the government or whatever for money. She's working and saving her money.

If you want to live in a house that costs millions, you get a job and you start saving up. You don't live off other people.

this story has been going round and round, she doenst ge tnayof the benefit,its the hous eowner who gets it all,

when i wa osn the dole years ago, my rent was paid, but not all of it,i had ot find twenty prcent, so my dole was even lower.

i got £44 a fortnihgt,after my rent it was £18 a week, then ihad food .

so really the land lord gets all the benefit

Source(s): this was during the tories turnin govt, nothing changes

why provide for your own when this gutless government will provide everything for you for free at our taxing paying expense . admittedly certain criteria must be met first, must be an ethnic minority playing the race card and an immigrant. "asylum" seekers are free to scrounge as well but they have to make do with free accomadation in a sea front hotel and living allowances which can add up to 375 quid a week. any wonder we have so many scroungers come from overseas?

These people are parasites and know exactly how to use, and abuse, the system...I'd send her and her kids back to whatever shithole she came out of in Iraq or Afghan...trouble is what's going to happen next year when something like 13,400 Gurkas and their dependants become entitled to move here thanks to Joanna Lumley...who's going to pay the Bill for all their accomodation,education, housing, child benefit, housing benefit etc etc.....you and me that's who....

Source(s): Fr Ted told meover a pint in Mulligans...
  • Dr. TJ

I live in Australia, but I don't believe a government should be responsible to pay for housing for it's citizens. Finding accommodation is your own responsibility. If they're single mothers I don't believe it's their ex-partners responsibility to house them either. I think we should be responsible for ourselves, if you can't afford to house your kids on your own then you can't afford to have them live with you, it's that simple.

And you CERTAINLY shouldn't be having new babies if you're in such a position. I'd like to know, if she was a single mother in a council flat, how did the new baby eventuate? If we make women take responsibility for their own financial situation when they're single it will make them stop sleeping around so much and having illegitimate children. If they had to take care of themselves financially when they're single perhaps they wouldn't be so quick to break up a family in the first place.

• ,,

My problem with her is in one of the things she has said

''I was in a 3 bed council house and needed a bigger place once the new baby came along''

Heres a novel idea:-

DONT HAVE KIDS YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO HOUSE !!

If you have so many kids that they do not fit into your current house then ffs close your legs and dont have anymore.

This stupid woman makes my blood boil

• Skidoo

What I love is the way these people say 'when the new baby came along' as though they have no idea how it got there in the first place!

EDIT - Deighton - pre-planned life-trajectory be damned - if you have unprotected sex babies may 'just come along' nine months later and if you don't they won't. Simples.