Why do court cases sometimes have the United States as a party and sometimes the Attorney General?

Favorite Answer

the attorney general files suit on behalf of the US. Attorney general opinion could also be the basis of the lawsuit.

However, does seem like the uS would be the one charged. I can't tell you why. Sometimes US could plead immunity and the suit may be to try to overcome that by saying the Attorney General exceeded authority and therefore caused the problem.

Other than that I can't guess. And I don't recall anything about that from lawschool back when. I've been retired for a while now too.

It would be a civil case if it was the Attorney General and not the United States.

what should I do if someone posed himself to me as a CRIMINAL INVESTORGATOR FOR THE U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE.