I'm starting college in fall, majoring in graphic design. Can someone tell me what to expect?

I have been accepted into Louisiana State University with scholarships. My major is graphic design but now I'm worried that may not have been a good idea. I've always loved art and drawing and I have great ideas for visual designs but I've never used programs such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. I... show more I have been accepted into Louisiana State University with scholarships. My major is graphic design but now I'm worried that may not have been a good idea. I've always loved art and drawing and I have great ideas for visual designs but I've never used programs such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. I actually only recently found out these programs existed. All we have is an old version of Photoshop at home but I feel like I'm not experienced enough. I fear I may be at a big disadvantage because I know of people who have been using these programs for years and still don't have trouble succeeding in this major. I'm worried now because I'm not interested in being a doctor or lawyer(that's what my family wants and if don't succeed in what I want it will be like a big "I told you so"). I just want to be creative and make art.
Can anyone who has experience in this field tell me what to expect or if maybe I should reconsider career paths? Is there anything I can do to improve my odds of success or am I already doomed to failure?