promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
:) asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Confederate flag? Used today?

when do you think the confederate flag should be allowed to be used?

why do some people think it is offensive?

thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first thing that needs to be said is that there was more than one Confederate flag. You're probably asking about the Stars and Bars, also known as the Confederate battle flag, which you see today on bumper stickers, T-shirts, and baseball caps, as well as at Ku Klux Klan rallies and other public events.

Some people find that banner offensive because soldiers marching under the Confederate battle flag killed so many Americans that they make al Qaeda look like penny-ante amateurs. Some people find it offensive because the Confederate States of America, in the words of its Vice-President, rejected the American idea that all people are created equal and embraced instead "the great truth that the n*gro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition."

So the flag represents anti-American violence, slavery, and racism. Apart from that, it's not offensive at all.

As to the question of whether the flag "should be allowed to be used" -- of course it should. The United States of America is a much better country than the Confederate States of America. This is a country where all people are equal and all opinions can be expressed freely. Even if an opinion is stupid and evil (like the racist, anti-American opinions represented by the Stars and Bars), people should still be allowed to express it. We don't have to be afraid of bad ideas, because people with good ideas are free to talk back.

• Beth D5 years agoReport

Just a clarification - The flag most people are referring to is a battle flag, not the "Stars and Bars" which was a national flag of the CSA. The two designs are completely different.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I assume you are asking this question because some people find the use of such flag offensive. Well, this is a free country. All citizens have certain rights that are protected by the laws enacted by our founding fathers. If we start stripping these rights because we might "offend" someone, we will be in BIG trouble!

The confederate flag should be used at any time a person chooses to do so. In the south I have seen it flown over businesses, and less recently over government buildings. For most folks in the south, it is a matter of southern pride. Pride of where they are from and their way of life, much in the same way I see folks displaying/flying foreign countries' flags. I see that almost daily, and I don't hear any guessing/complaints of when and where that should be "allowed". In my opinion, that is much more offensive than seeing a confederate flag displayed. At least a confederate flag represents part of our own nation, a nation that, during it's brief history, has welcomed and accepted people from foreign lands from all corners of the planet to come here and enjoy the same freedoms that those of us who were born here do. It's not a perfect place, but we live better than we would anywhere else in the world!

As far as why some people think the confederate flag is offensive -- well, there are wackos out there that use it to display their prejudice. But there are wackos out there that display all different kinds of things to "display" their beliefs, whatever they may be. For example, there is a well-know organization of pedophiles who print literature (pamphlets) and distribute it to tell other pedophiles how to meet and lure children into sexual relationships. Their right to do this has been defended by the ACLU because this is a free country and they have the "rights" to free speech. Personally, I would like to see THAT banned before banning any flag waving!

Source(s): common sense
  • 1 decade ago

The unofficial Confederate battle flag (the Stars and Bars) is the object of controversy. The Confederation's official flag is a close variation of the US national flag of the time, a source of great confusion, especially on a battlefield. Which ever, each is an historical artifact; both are a feature of our American history. The Union still protects freedom of expression among consenting adults without govt. regulation-despite some folks best efforts to censure and condemn the speech of others.

This recent upset is calculated for PC political purposes. Liberals can beat their breasts and swear they do not now, nor have they ever, owned slaves. Also, there's a goodly amount of plain old interest group politics at work; there's a lot of money in affirmative action politics and trading on guilt.

• John N
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

To some the Confederate flag represents centuries of slavery and oppression. It reminds some that members of their family were held in bondage. Plus there is that whole "The South Will Rise Again". For me good, bad or ugly. It was a time in our history. It is something that we should not forget. It is something that we should study. Least we forget it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

IMO there is no reason why it should not be used. It is part of history and represents a desire for freedom from an overwhelming power of centralised bureaucracy

Some think it offensive - because (to them) it represents pro-slavery ideas. Which is completely wrong- since no slave ship ever carried the confederate colours and free black volunteers served in integrated units in the confederate army (as opposed to the strict segregation in Federal army)

If one is looking for a symbol of black slavery then the obvious choice would be islamic symbolism- after all it is the spread of islam in Africa which was responsible for the spread of mass slavery (and muslims in arabia and turkey were the main- over 95%- market for black slaves) However that would be oh-so-non-politically-correct... even though it is true. so - too bad for historical truth and hooray for PC nonsense

• 1 decade ago

What do you mean, asking if it should be ALLOWED? When was the First Amendment abolished? I didn't get the memo.

Here's an idea: Why don't we let the "Stars & Bars" rest in history and design a new flag for the next secession movement?

• 1 decade ago

I'm not American, so maybe I'm not the one to say when it should be used.

However I do think that it could be offensive to those who want a "United" united states, not to mention the slavery connotations.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.