Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 1 decade ago

What would you think would happen if UN resolution 242 was approved?

Do you think that it would change, or curve Arab Israeli relations in any way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Securi...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The UN could never condone a foreign party administering illegally acquired territory. The resolution is unequivocal.

"Withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict;

Termination of all claims or states of belligerency and respect for and acknowledgement of the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of every State in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized boundaries free from threats or acts of force;"

Note words like TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY, POLITICAL INDEPENDENCE, RECOGNIZED BOUNDARIES. Note: territory acquired in battle (so-called "Right of Conquest") is not recognized as legitimate by the UN. If you don't believe me, ask any Iraqi what happened when they tried to annex Kuwait.

Egypt offered a full peace treaty and normalized relations with Israel. There would be peace in the Middle East.

Any ambiguity by 242 was addressed by UN Sec Council Res 446 which

1. Determines that the policy and practices of Israel in establishing settlements in the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since 1967 have no legal validity and constitute a serious obstruction to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East;

2. Strongly deplores the failure of Israel to abide by Security Council resolutions 237 (1967) of 14 June 1967, 252 (1968) of 21 May 1968 and 298 (1971) of 25 September 1971 and the consensus statement by the President of the Security Council on 11 November 1976 2/ and General Assembly resolutions 2253 (ES-V) and 2254 (ES-V) of 4 and 14 July 1967, 32/5 of 28 October 1977 and 33/113 of 18 December 1978;

3. Calls once more upon Israel, as the occupying Power, to abide scrupulously by the 1949 Fourth Geneva Convention, to rescind its previous measures and to desist from taking any action which would result in changing the legal status and geographical nature and materially affecting the demographic composition of the Arab territories occupied since 1967, including Jerusalem, and, in particular, not to transfer parts of its own civilian population into the occupied Arab territories;

It's pretty clear.

• liam
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

long previous with the aid of the wayside I assume. i might think of that making use of an Apache helicopter to blast a guy in a wheel is incredibly somewhat overkill. What genuine use is a helicopter in this type of war? What has got here approximately to gorilla war the action pictures have shown US squaddies to be very gifted in?

• Shay p
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Security Council Resolution 242, was approved after the 1967 war, it stipulates not only that Israel and its neighboring states should make peace with each other but should establish “a just and lasting peace in the Middle East.” Until that condition is met, Israel is entitled to administer the territories it captured – the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip – and then withdraw from some but not necessarily all of the land to “secure and recognized boundaries free of threats or acts of force.”

Like always "the cow want to nurse more than the calf wants to suckle".

• 1 decade ago

I don't think anything the UN or any other organization does will help the problem this much. It is sad but their is too much pain and history on both sides in the conflict. I just hope God will make peace soon for this area.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The UN resolution was approved by all parties.

The small problem is that everyone understands it differently.

For Arabs it means Israeli complete return to indefensible borders, like nothing did happen.

Israel says that resolution does not say all territories, because it was unacceptable for Israel at any time in the past and now. This will invite Arabs to start war again and again.

Many Arabs on this site love to mention this resolution following the Muslim principle. "Give me finger-I'll take hand".

• Kini
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is just another resolution ignored by Israel. It would go a long way toward peace.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A hypothetical question deserves a hypothetical answer. What do you think would happen if the Arabs recognized Israel's right to exist?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The world would be a far, far better place.

The next time someone argues, 'Israel has a right to defend itself' or attempts to use the abusive spouse defense: 'Look what you made me do!'

Tell them No! Tell them there can never be any acceptable justification for the deliberate devastation of an entire society. It is unconscionable, it is wrong.

Plainly put: there is no sane argument in favor of such behavior. Those who believe there is must be rebuked and vigorously opposed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.