Why do people associate techno music with being gay?

In school, every time a techno song comes on in a classroom, someone just has to say "OMG! Turn that gay sh*t off!" Me, being perfectly straight, and a huge fan of techno, I get offended. Can someone tell me where this association stemmed from?

Favorite Answer

I know how you feel... My wife even makes fun of the kind of techno I listen to and calls me gay, lol. I think it's mainly a stereotype. I remember one day downtown I was walking around and the only bar/club that was playing techno was a gay club, lol. But then again you have massive raves with 7000+ people I guarantee the majority of people there aren't gay at all. Some people are just quick to judge and aren't open to anything other than whats considered popular. Even techno lovers hate other kinds of techno and flip out when its played, At a rave once someone flipped out because the DJ started playing hardcore, which is fast and happy. I honestly think it has something to do with some peoples Tough American image to be tough, any music that sounds happy gay or emotional is just gay to them and they'll melt if they hear to much. Point is there's always gonna be someone who either really does hate it, or stereotypes it as being gay so they feel the need to strike it down to make them look and feel tough. Dance music/techno as you probably know is very popular in other countries, that's one reason I seriously think it's a Tough-American-Image thing.

I guess it probably stemmed from the nightclub life of tight shirts and pants and as mentioned before glow sticks, drugs and raves, however it is also commonly stereotyped as being part of the gay culture and community.

However i love techno and im not gay... its just my guess..

HTID!!!

• Because as always every moron feels the need to stereotype everything which is sad & pathetic.

• Kimora

they probably mean gay as in it's crap.

not they think it's for gay people

• ♪♫

thats what they play at most gay clubs

I usually associate it with mental retardation, glowsticks and ecstasy.