Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesSubaru · 1 decade ago

do all cars have sway bars?

i dont know alot about cars and have got a good deal for front and rear sway bars to fit a subaru liberty 2002, is there any point of me buyin them, would my car already have them standard????

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Anti-sway bars (roll bars, sway bars, anti-roll bars) are standard on most front and rear suspension systems, including multi-link rear suspensions. They make no sense on certain "solid" (most old 'muscle' cars) and "swing" (older front-engine VW) rear suspensions.

In this link Porsche details the anti-roll bars, front and rear, on their latest 911 GT3 RS: http://www.porsche.com/latin-america-en/models/911...

The GT3 has, as noted, a multi-link independent rear suspension.

Generally, the size (diameter) of the bars is an important parameter. Stiffer, larger diameter, after-market bars are available to further limit roll or sway for performance driving. Find out what is, or isn't, on your car now. "Good deals" often aren't that good when you're fully informed about what is available and what you've already got.

Source(s): I'm a mechanical engineer and track guy.
  • 1 decade ago

No, all cars do not have sway bars. Mine has a 4 link rear and independent front. Most all newer models have them which is why you dont see the body roll like the older stuff when cornering. Unless your going extreme you dont need to swapp'em. you dont want to just up and change parts with out under standing the total geometry of your vehicle. Its designed to perform in a prescribed range and monkeying with it can actually hurt performance some times . save the money for some cool wheels or stereo or what ever you choose.

Source(s): might know a little about performance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes all cars have sway bars of some type or form......the ones ur looking at most likely are aftermarket ones that are larger which stiffens the ride making for better handling..

• 6 years ago

I disagree on that they are useless in solid axles. They make a he'll of a difference. Coming from someone who's only ever had solid axles is night and day

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes most all come with sway bars, there is no real point in aftermarket ones unless you drive it hard or race it or it goes out. but if you're just driving miss daisy to the mall then id keep my money

• 5 years ago

Thank you all for your replies and opinions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.