1998 dodge ram 1500 power steering issue?

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 pick up. I was driving to work and when i started driving the steering was rough going left to right. when straight the car runs normal. but any kind on turning the steering wheel the car makes a rough sound and shakes. almost as if its grinding. i was told that this could be a power steering pump. any ideas?

Best Answer

Most likely the pump is on it's way out. Or the serpentine belt's tension er is not doing it's job. I've seen allot of the A/C compressors go bad on dodge trucks, including my own. Good luck and hope this helps.

Source(s): Certified Auto Tech.

This truck does not have rack and pinion steering, so that is not the problem. You should take this in for an inspection immediately. This is either a steering gear or front suspension issue, especially since it is shaking on turns. A good front end shop will likely check it out for little or nothing, and then you will know if this is something that is very dangerous. I could be, so take it in ASAP.

Source(s): 10 years in auto service.

Sounds like the power steering pump or rack and pinion. Check the p/s fluid level