Bob asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

What are the disadvantages of mounting an Aimpoint sight on my ar15 carrying handle?

My upper has a permanent carrying handle on it and I was wondering about mounting an Aimpoint sight on top of it. My main concern is at close distances, how much will I have to account for the sight being much higher than the barrel and the iron sights? I know you can mount it in front of the carry handle but I now hold my rifle a new way that was taught to me in a rifle class and that mount will not work. I also do not want to change my upper receiver to a flat top. Any advice will help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2A
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Mounting that high will never be as good as a flat top mount and zero will not stay as well.

Source(s): a
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The carry handle was not designed to be a scope mount. Your Aimpoint would be quite high, forcing you to hold your head in an awkward position. If you are concerned about close range targets, perhaps you might consider a laser sight on the forearm of the rifle. Use the laser for short range work and the Aimpoint for longer ranges.

• 1 decade ago

Try a Z-mount type of carry handle mound and mount your optic on the lower, more forward rail. From this position you should be able to cowitness your irons also.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you will have a significant off-set if you mount the aimpoint on top of your AR, there is no getting around that.

Buy a flat top upper, but don't buy a barrel, bolt group, charging handle, etc etc, JUST the flat top upper, and swap the stuff over

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-Manufactured-Stripped-A3...

$90 for a flat top stripped upper.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.