Bob asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

What are the disadvantages of mounting an Aimpoint sight on my ar15 carrying handle?

My upper has a permanent carrying handle on it and I was wondering about mounting an Aimpoint sight on top of it. My main concern is at close distances, how much will I have to account for the sight being much higher than the barrel and the iron sights? I know you can mount it in front of the carry handle but I now hold my rifle a new way that was taught to me in a rifle class and that mount will not work. I also do not want to change my upper receiver to a flat top. Any advice will help.

• 2A
    Favorite Answer

Mounting that high will never be as good as a flat top mount and zero will not stay as well.

Source(s): a

The carry handle was not designed to be a scope mount. Your Aimpoint would be quite high, forcing you to hold your head in an awkward position. If you are concerned about close range targets, perhaps you might consider a laser sight on the forearm of the rifle. Use the laser for short range work and the Aimpoint for longer ranges.

Try a Z-mount type of carry handle mound and mount your optic on the lower, more forward rail. From this position you should be able to cowitness your irons also.

you will have a significant off-set if you mount the aimpoint on top of your AR, there is no getting around that.

Buy a flat top upper, but don't buy a barrel, bolt group, charging handle, etc etc, JUST the flat top upper, and swap the stuff over

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-Manufactured-Stripped-A3...

$90 for a flat top stripped upper.