Lena asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

If adding someone to your bank account, will they check that person's credit?

My mom want to add another person to her account, beside she must go to the bank sign paper with that person, but if that person is in check system because have bad record before, (my mom make sure safe enough to add the person to the account...) since just want to make convenient to let the person to cash a check from IRS tax refund this year, then will close the account after the person get the money deposit or cash, so in this case is it possible for my mom to add the person to the account successfully if he or she have check system? thanks for your time!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If the person she wants to add is in ChexSystems, she will not be able to add that person to the account.

Because that person has an outstanding balance with a bank (reason they're on ChexSystems to begin with), it's probably not a good idea to open an account with that person anyway. If they left the bank without making good on a bad debt, they may do the same thing with your mom if allowed to be on the account....not a good idea.

If the person only wants to cash an IRS tax refund check, most any bank will let you do that without having an account with that bank, as long as they present 2 forms of ID. They will also require a thumbprint, but the check can be cashed without having an account at that bank.

For any other kind of check, as long as you go to the bank the check was drawn upon, you can cash those checks as well without having an account, as long as you provide two forms of ID and a thumbprint.

Source(s): Worked at a bank for 4 years.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

You may not be able to get added to his account until you clear these checks up. They run a check on your SS # and can tell if you owe money to other banks. Until these are cleared up, you probably won't be able to get any account.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most banks will decline a person with bad credit or no credit.... unless the bank has second chance banking, the changes of adding someone to your account is close to none

• 1 decade ago

yes they will check to see if they have a report with chex system and if they do

you can kisss that account goodbye

or they wont add her to the account

Source(s): personal expernice (happen to me)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they will check thier credit if you try and get credit that is what happens in UK anyway

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.