Why do people smile in the holocaust pictures?

I am not trying to offend anyone or cause a big reaction, but I just want to know why some people smiled in the pictures when they are in concentration camps, even though they are starving and thirsty and uncomfortable and hurt?! Who took those pictures anyway, because it doesn't seem like that's the atmosphere where they'd let you take pictures.

Favorite Answer

I've seen many Holocaust pictures and I have not seen anyone smile, were the SS guards smiling only? Where's the proof of this? Edit: thanks for emailing me the photos, the first group was not smiling,but the last group on the bunk beds were. Like a user said below, they were most likely forced because no one in their right mind (especially underfed people) would smile in such circumstances as those!

I don't know which pictures you're referring to, but the most famous ones are from two sources. The first lot are from the Red Cross visit to Theresienstadt which the Nazis staged as a big publicity stunt - "look, aren't we nice to the Jews we've imprisoned here?". It wasn't worth the possible punishment not to smile when you'd been told to. The other set of photographs were taken by the liberators of the camps. The relief, among the horrendous suffering, must have been huge.

I have never ever seen a holocaust picture with people smiling in them.

The pictures are taken at the libaration of the camp by the allied forces

the pictures were taken by order of future US president Eisenhower as he said : “The day will come when some son-of-a-b!tc.h will say ‘this never happened’”

You cited no single examples, smiles are not always indicative of happiness. They(smiles)can show uncomfortabity and other emotions

The nazi's probably made them take the pictures??

i think either they werent fully aware of what was going on, or they were trying to be strong and keep their heads up.

• Omen

Because for one brief moment they might forget their troubles..... maybe

LOL