i want to be a tv news reporter!?

i want to be a news reporter. what is to be done after my high school to be a news reporter?what courses and degrees do i need for it?

i need a complete guideline for this.

anyone knowing about this?

kindly reply me soon!

Favorite Answer

As a female you will be judged more stringently than if you were a male. Some female TV reporters, especially the more attractive, often have a bad reputation even when they do not deserve it.

=======

You do not say which country you are living in, so it is more difficult to answer your question. I will be general in my answer.

At High School --

(a) Try to join the school newspaper and if they have a radio or TV station, join their team and work on that.

(b) Make sure that you are excellent in English plus look at subjects like "legal studies" so that you can do "Law Reporting", "Court Reporting" and "Police Rounds" and even several of the "political rounds -- local, state and Federal. Other subjects are politics and social studies or political geography. These will help you with political reporting. History is always a good subject to study as it helps with several areas of journalism. If you are thinking of becoming a "Foreign Correspondent" then languages, history of where you would like to work plus their culture and politics etc are essential.

Generally --

(a) Buy the best dictionary you can. I suggest the "Complete Oxford English Dictionary" (the two volume edition not the 13 volume). This will do you through High school and through university and then into later work as a journalist. This has both the British and US spellings plus the origins of the words.

(b) Telephone or write to the local main Metropolitan newspaper and ask for a copy of their "Style Guide". This will give you an idea of how the paper wishes you to write your stories, which words to avoid and which words are misused etc.

(c) Ask the local suburban newspaper if you may write some articles for them and later progress to larger newspapers and magazines. Even if you wish to do broadcast journalism (radio and TV), you still need to know how to write a story and collect facts etc.

(d) Learn to pronounce your words clearly.

At College/University --

(a) Either do a Media course or a journalism course later specialising in "Broadcast journalism".

(b) Join the university's newspaper and if they have a radio or TV station, then join that and do as much reporting as you can.

(c) Contact your local TV station early during your university course and ask if you may do some casual work for them, going out with other reporters and TV cameramen and seeing what they do and how they cover a story. Later they would then ask you to do some of the reporting both off-camera then on-camera. By the time you have finished your course, you should be able to move straight into a staff position.

Source(s): A former TV news cameraman and journalist with over 30 years in the industry in Australia and Southeast Asia. Currently a SE Asian historian.

You need a degree in mass communications, journalism, or broadcast journalism. You're going to have to improve your speech, look for jobs and internships at your local news broadcasting station (or newspaper), and I suggest writing for your HS paper & college paper (when you get there). It will help you get use to deadlines and the constant rush in the field you're getting into.

Other than that, start looking up info about colleges you're interested in, and look for other ways that would benefit your career choice. At my school they offer a broadcasting class where you prepare the morning news every day, if your school offers this then definitely sign up for it. Oh and during the summer I've heard of journalism camps (there should be on for broadcasters), I suggest looking into that too.

Collegeboard gives you info on your career choice, what degree/experience you need, future job growth in that field, other suggestions, & et cetera all on one page:

http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers...

• Nancy

As a former TV news cameraman I have had to be out in all weather to cover weather stories, murders, fires, fatal car accidents etc. We do not like being out in the foul weather but we must obtain the "news stories" that people wish to see. Not all journalists do "stand-ups" or "pieces to camera" in bad weather, many just cover the story from inside the studio, but it is the TV cameraman that is out in the weather. It is the same with covering wars -- Combat TV cameramen and combat photographers rarely like being in the middle of heavy fighting but they have to cover actual combat so that people may see what is happening. Rarely do you see a journalist in the front lines and it is rare for a journalist to be killed in combat compared with TV cameramen and photographers. Our job is to "get the pictures".

• una

Hi! Someone in my Twitter feed shared this question so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

get an Education helps

Don't high schools have guidance counselors anymore?

Understand the big picture first....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U9nRkC5Zo4

Youtube thumbnail