Tao asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Can physical therapy reduce the effects of 'postural essential tremors'?

I am a professional in a field that requires specific muscle movements and accuracy to be successful. Over the course of the past year, a progressive tremor has pervaded my daily performance of certain movements. The tremor is kinetic in nature, triggered only by motions which mimic eating with utensils, and drinking from a glass. The tremor is slowly eroding my capacity to perform menial tasks in my career, a career that I would not be quick to part from.

A neurologist diagnosed the symptoms as essential tremor recently, and prescribed beta-blockers. I have been taking the medicine for several months with no improvement. Would I benefit from seeking physical therapy? I am very active, and have considered the possibility that I am simply putting a great amount of stress on my shoulders and arms, leading to tremor-like symptoms.

I am under 30 years old, and I eat a very balanced, healthy diet. I avoid all soft-drinks, caffeinated beverages such as coffee and teas, and beer. A common aid against essential tremors is alcohol, so I occasionally drink red wine, with very little results. I exercise 7 days a week, including strength-training, and daily cardiovascular exercise. There are no known cases of movement disorders in my family.

Favorite Answer

Recommend a second opinion with a movement disorders specialist. Generally, essential tremor responds to alcohol. The symptom of tremor is associated with more than one movement disorder and other medical conditons. Also, trauma. A physical therapist can prescribe hand/wrist/forearm supports, heavy mugs and flatware.

Source(s): www.tremoraction.org

Hmmm - I have never used such a thing before but have always been intrigued by it. I believe in the idea behind magnetic therapy as we know our bodies operate on a certain amount of electricity. I know people who have benefitted from having those bracelets like copper and stuff to have better health and I believe in those too as I have seen then help people - heard of their success. I get an idea, like when you've tipped it off, to buy one of those Sabona magnetic bracelets and try it myself, then I get distracted and forget. I think you should try them on him - if it's getting a certain time when his arthritis is normally acting up, try them for the winter, document each day's result in his situation and look for trends that might give you some idea of whether they're working or not. I've never seen any facts about studies done with them.