♥ 4katsuki ♥ asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why does my dog hold a teddy in its mouth...?

...and then knead with his paws when hes about to go to sleep then stop when he falls asleep? heres a photo of him doing it so you can see what i mean..

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/XxNoteT0Sel...

It's one of the toys his breeder gave us when we collected him its the only teddy he does it to...i just think its cute but was curious why he does it because he didnt do it at first when we got him, it took a few days.. its quite child like, heh.

Anybody else who has a dog who does a similar thing? Why do you think they do it? If your dog has ever done it, did they grow out of it?

Im just curious. he gets upset when he sees me carrying it to put it into the washing machine or he gets upset if he cant find it before he goes to sleep and he searches everywhere for it..

Also, ive heard that its more likely in dogs whom have left their littermates at a young age but we didnt get him 'til he was 15 weeks...

Favorite Answer

My Dane doesn't have a specific stuffed animal, but whenever we give her a new one she will keep it for a few weeks and nibble it gently a ton until one day she'll notice a hole and take out all its stuffing.

Some dogs will get attached to a certain object because it brings them good memories and they know when they have it, they are happy. The Dane has two baby blankies that she still enjoys, even though she'll be seven soon. One was bought by my mom right after we brought the Dane home, and my mom didn't want the dog using it, but somehow it turned into mommy-and-Roxy's-snuggle-blanket in the dog's mind and she is excited whenever she sees my mom using it and will go try to sit with my mom like she's still a tiny pup, not an adult Great Dane. The other is a dog blanket, but she knows that it is hers and hers alone, and she loves it.

That's really cute. He might grow out of needing it to sleep, but he will probably always love having it to hold on to.

There are a few reasons. 1: Dogs LOVE to have something. What I mean is that it is like a pride thing.... if u own 20000000000000 dollars, u would be happy right? 2: They like to chew and hide things. 3: it might comfort him.

Source(s): own 3 dogs

some dogs just love to carry things about i have a cocker spaniel that carries one or two things about his favourite is a dog dish

he takes it and berries it then will get another to go to bed with or he will get a teddy and just rip it to shreds i believe it is a possession thing he as done it from being about 1yr old and he is 8 now we just leave him to it makes him happy

ha ha, beautiful pug. i have a pug too and he does the same thing with his teddy, and when someone comes into the house he runs for the teddy incase they try to lift it.. will be better off with a plastic toy or bone when its few months older it sooths their teeth and keeps them healthy:) good luck

my mum had a male shih tzu that used to do it. he would suck on any soft toy until he feel asleep. he wouldn't do it to them all but he had a few favourites.

like your dog he hated them being in the washing machine and would sit watching them going round and round! he loved his toys!

i think it's an instinctive behaviour, puppies do this whilst feeding from there mother the "kneading" helps to stimulate the milk flow from the teet.

i recently hand reared a puppy and she would do this to my hand whilst she suckled.

its a comfort thing. just like a baby with their blanket

he loves it