Ammo situation in your area?

Generally, I have been using WalMart as a barometer of the availability of ammo in a certain area. Here in the Space Coast of Florida I have noticed that my WalMart seems to be well stocked on 9mm, .40 S&W, and 45 ACP. In fact for the last two weeks that have not been out of stock. Still no .380 ACP. What about your neighborhood?

Favorite Answer

My Walmart lately has sucked on keeping what I need in stock. They got some of the hollow points in for 45 and 40 and a ton of 40 FMJ but not much 45 FMJ or 9mm FMJ (which is what I need and I like Walmart since it's usually pretty cheap so...) They haven't had 380 in forever and they got a good bit of other calibers.

Source(s): me gun owner.
  • MJ

I have 3 Wally World's in my area. They very rarely have anything other than common rifle and shotgun ammo since the Obama election. 9x19, .380 ACP, .38 Special, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP are always out. .223 is also out, most of the time.

All other stores are hit or miss. Around hunting season everyone was out of many big game calibers, and of course, the above list of handgun ammo.

Still, I have enough stores to choose from that I can keep myself supplied, and even find some good deals on ammo occasionally.

If I'm not finding what I want locally, or I'm not satisfied with the price, I mail order.

Little Rock, AR. I check everytime I go to Walmart. I can always find 9mm and .40. .45 is hard to find and I lucked out the other day and they were stocked full of .380 FMJ's. Needless to say I bought 4 boxes of 100 and should be set for a while.

My Walmart and other local gun shops have plenty of ammo on the shelves..... The gun culture here in upstate New York isn't quite as big as many areas of the USA so shortages generally are not a problem... A year ago the shelves were bare.... About May 2009 some sanity came to gun buyers and ammo hording slowed down and the shelves filled up.....

Except for a few minor spot shortage of pistol ammo we don't have any problems... Some local dealer's have put limits on how many boxes of ammo you can make in 1 sale.... For rifle & pistol ammo some dealers around here are limiting sales to 5 boxes......

The only big box store I've had any luck in has been Dick's sporting good's.Other than that been gettin just about anything I've wanted in the gunshops.They cost a little more but the ammo is top shelf stuff.

Oh yeah. That's here in SC

• TDM

LUCKY!!!!

My nearest WallyWorld is empty of centerfire handgun ammo 9 out of 10 times I'm there. They recently had 6 boxes of 9mm FMJ and I snagged 4. Haven't seen .40SW or .45ACP there for a year. They always have .22LR, rifle and shot shells out the wazoo. Luckily, the sporting goods stores and ranges usually have plenty of whatever you want, just more expensive than Wal Mart.

I never use Wal-Mart for ammo. In Lynnwood, Washington (20 minutes north of Seattle) there are 3 Wal-Marts within reasonable distance, and they NEVER have .22 ammo. Ever. Their .223 ammo is usually picked over too. Go to just about any gun store though, and you can usually find most common types of ammo. Except .22. There's only one place that I know that has it consistently.

• larry

People are hoarding the 380 ammo in many areas. But not the brass, which you can get mailorder. Get into handloading, and there will be few ammo shortages anywhere near your mailbox.

Ventura, CA

No shortage here, Greta's Guns has plenty of ammo, though they tend not to carry non-lead rounds for hunting in the Condor range. For non-lead Big 5 usually has them all, sometimes they run short on those but not often.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

N.W. Pennsylvania. Seeing more and more .40 9mm and .45 but still NO .380.