I've read that gay men might be allowed to join the military, how will that work?

My husband is in Basic Training and there is little privacy for him. He writes to me that they must share open quarters and even some men run around in their underwear in the evening while preparing for the next days activities. My understanding is that women have separate quarters because of the disruption that... show more My husband is in Basic Training and there is little privacy for him. He writes to me that they must share open quarters and even some men run around in their underwear in the evening while preparing for the next days activities. My understanding is that women have separate quarters because of the disruption that could occur if they are together with the men. My husband is certainly not gay ( I can personally vouch for that!) but if gay men were allowed in the same barracks could that cause some sort of disruption?

A friend from my college classes told me that there actually are gay men serving in the Army now. Her fiance is also in the Army so we have lots of common ground. They are planning to marry next time he can come home on Leave. Where are these men stationed and if so why are they saying that the military will be opened up to gay men?