Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

I've read that gay men might be allowed to join the military, how will that work?

My husband is in Basic Training and there is little privacy for him. He writes to me that they must share open quarters and even some men run around in their underwear in the evening while preparing for the next days activities. My understanding is that women have separate quarters because of the disruption that could occur if they are together with the men. My husband is certainly not gay ( I can personally vouch for that!) but if gay men were allowed in the same barracks could that cause some sort of disruption?

A friend from my college classes told me that there actually are gay men serving in the Army now. Her fiance is also in the Army so we have lots of common ground. They are planning to marry next time he can come home on Leave. Where are these men stationed and if so why are they saying that the military will be opened up to gay men?

• HDH
    Favorite Answer

There's already gay men and women in the military. They just aren't allowed to ANNOUNCE that they are gay. (But a lot of people figure it out anyway.) This is called the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. A person can't be kicked out of the military for being gay, but they can be kicked out if they announce that they are gay, or they are "caught in the act."

I served six years in the Army, as an Arabic linguist. I knew gay people at language school. The military's kicked out several of them. You know how long it takes to train an Arabic linguist? Twenty four MONTHS. And you have to score high on the ASVAB, take an extra test called the DLAB, AND pass an extensive background check. You can't replace military linguists in a hurry. There are never enough of them to go around. Need I point out to you that having folks around who understand the local language in a combat zone might be a little more important to saving the lives of American soldiers, than some privacy concerns?

After my two years of training, I served in the 10th Mountain Division. I knew of five or six gay men and women personally. Nobody in my command cared. Gays and straights alike used to hang out at the local gay bar. They were very supportive of the troops! ;) My command was more concerned about having enough people for our constant combat rotations to worry about sexual orientation.

I think the military's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is becoming increasingly irrelevant and that by the time they repeal it, it will be NO BIG DEAL to the men and women currently in uniform. Only civilians will obsess about it. The military will accept the change and get on with the mission at hand.

There is no privacy in Basic Training. But that only lasts a few months. Then there is usually some minimal privacy in place. The Sexual Harassment regulations already in place will protect everybody from "unwanted advances" (though God knows straight men are the worst offenders of that policy and always will be.)

Source(s): Six years in the Army Two tours in Iraq We had gay mechanics, medics, linguists, and generator repairers. Nobody gave a hoot.

No, it would not cause disruption. How would it be different than men and women allowing to serve together? If there's any hint at sexual misconduct, then punishment will be administered.

The military should be opened to gay men. Why shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to fight, protect, and die for this country? If you have issues with homosexuals serving alongside your husband, or your husband has issues (not saying either is the case, just stating the hypothetical), then that's your own issue; not the issue of homosexuals.

Heard of Don't ask, don't tell? Homosexuals have been serving legally since 1993 and illegally all the time before that.

Gay men (and women) have been in the barracks all this time and somehow, we've managed to get everyone trained and on his/her way.

Its not a problem unless YOU make it one.

Source(s): AD AF

I think the gays that really want to serve will be able to have some self control. But I also think there are some gays who don't want to serve period. I have a gay cousin who says he will never be in the US military until gays are treated as equals and allowed to marry their spouses. His feeling is, why should he fight for the rights of others when his own rights are being trampled.

Being a straight and married man, I'm in no position to judge my cousin's opinion, but I suspect there are others like him out there.

There have been homosexuals in the military as long as there has been a military. Odds are there are one or two sharing the barracks with your husband even as we speak. They are most definitely "allowed" to serve. What current policy forbids is for them to openly show or proclaim their orientation. And that is the policy that may be changing.

As for being disruptive? It's only going to be as disruptive as the people with disruptive tendencies make it. We eventually figured out we could survive integrating blacks and whites, males and females, and we will certainly get this figured out too.

You sound so shocked to hear that gay men are in the military. Have you had your head in the sand for your entire life? Hate to break this to you, but gay people don't have to run around with signs on the backs ....jeeesh. Gay men and women have been serving in the military since this country won its independence. Current policy dictates they cannot openly proclaim their sexual orientation while serving, but doesn't BAR them from serving.

Yeah, because homosexuals are ALL predators that would be jacking off to your husband and other soldiers into their faces and they absolutely wouldn't have the ability to be professional around your husband who must be so hot and all.... -_- You sound like a moronic homophobic.

The military has been opened for gay men for years, by the way. Don't Ask Don't Tell. Basically means gays can serve as long as they don't tell anyone they're gay.

They are allowed now. They just cannot say they are gay openly.

It works the same as now. Mind your own business and nothing will happen.

It'll work just the same as anyone else joining the army.

I was in the USMC and we found out one of the guys in our battalion was a gay, and we beat the f*ck out of him all the time, made fun of him, did not let him in on anything, our commanding officers finally got solid photographic and video evidence of him in the act of gay sh*t and club and needless to say was discharged from the military promptly. There is no reason gays should be in the military i would not have ever trusted my life with him, let alone my a**!!!! haha u gays in the military need to do a favor and come out, then get out!

Source(s): Semper Fi, he would love to f*ck the other guy!