Christians: If the expression in Luke 16:22-23 "Abraham's bosom" means heaven or paradise?

when Abraham died, did Abraham go to Abraham's bosom? And where did people go when they died BEFORE Abraham was born?

Favorite Answer

Abraham’s bosom didn’t mean heaven. It meant the place of rest for the souls of those who were reckoned clean in God’s eyes before the resurrection of Christ Jesus. It was called Sheol in the Old Testament and Hades in the New Testament. The unrighteous went to the same general location but they were separated from the righteous by a great divide. I don’t know if the Bible ever referred to it as paradise but other ancient Jewish writings did. It wasn’t called Abraham’s bosom before Abraham died. It was just Sheol, the place of his fathers and the place of his people. See Genesis 15:15 and Genesis 25:8. It continued to be called these things even after Abraham died. If you have a Bible concordance, search the words ((gathered to his people)) or ((fathers)). There are some you can use online. I like the Blue Letter Bible.

I think the reason it later became known as Abraham’s bosom is because of Genesis 17:4 and 5 where God told Abraham that he would become the father of a multitude of nations. So instead of saying they were going to their people or their fathers they started to call it Abraham’s bosom. Have you ever heard the children’s song that goes “Father Abraham had many sons, many sons had Father Abraham, I am one of them, and so are you, So let’s all praise the Lord?” That comes from those same verses in the Bible.

I hope this helps with your question. Have a blessed day!

The expression "someone's bosom" is just a poetic way of saying "someone's presence". Lazarus went into Abraham's presence. The actual name of the place is Paradise. Before Abraham was there, it was still Paradise, but it would not have been the place of Abraham's presence.

Before Abraham, people still went in Paradise/Hades (the two different parts of the place). In 2 Peter it talks about how Jesus went there and preached to the spirits of those from the time of Noah's flood (an event before Abraham).

Abraham was in paradise and so were all the people of God until Jesus death, burial and resurrection. That is why He said, He led captivity captive. (Ephesians 4: 8 - 10)

Apparently there was a great gulf that saperated hell and paradise, and all the saints of old could not enter into heaven because though they were God's chosen people they were still under the curse, therefore could not enter into the kingdom heaven without burning up, so they went to a place called paradise instead, it was a very nice peaceful place even though it was saperated from hell only by a gulf. (Luke 16: 26)

"Bosom of Abraham" is the set of benefits, which belongs to righteous by entering them from a storm in heaven wharf, as in the sea of the bay (by heart), we usually call a place convenient to the pier and reassurance. - Note also that on the day that the abuser will see what glory would be offended by them, and this in turn will see in any condemnation of the offender will be, just as Lazarus saw the rich here, but this - again rich.

Source(s): Euthymios Zigaben Interpretation Matthew

Abraham's bosom means just that.

It was to show that the religion the rich man followed was not enough.

Abraham was the father of the Jewish religion.

God expected more from men than religion, he wanted compassion.

The answer to your ? is that when people die, their spirit returns to God who gave it.

If they are worthy to remain in his presence, then they are allowed to stay.

People without compassion for their fellow man, made in the image of God, are not worthy.

When I was hungry, you fed me.

When I was naked you clothed me.

When I was homeless, you took me in.

When I was in jail, you visited me.

What you did for the least of these my brothers, you did for me.

Source(s): the Holy Bible
  • Cindy

Yes, it means heaven. Jews, Christians, and Muslims believe Abraham is in heaven. I think they call it a metaphor.

Abraham's bosom symbolically means you are in a favourable condition with God.

This whole section is symbolic

They went to Abraham's uncles' bosoms and his forefathers' bosoms -- read yer freakin bible.

In heaven everything is centered around old men's holy rancid bosoms.

I am not literalistic I give some room for poetic license

Its called Hades- Sheol -Purgatory