promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Did god flood the entire earth in the noah flood?

or did he flood the world as the ancients knew it, and if he did flood the planet where did he get all the water?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I know you are trying to disprove the bible, but you still ******* fail. Do you know that 71% of the earth surface is water. "where did he get all the water?" wow and I thought I was the only irrational atheist.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Apparently and science agrees, at one time long ago the Earth was a watery deep. Then as things eventuated an atmosphere developed and we know about the layers contained within. We know that a lot of water is contained within the atmosphere. Hence, if all the water was going to suddenly drop from the sky and all the water was pulled out from beneath the Earth, once again we would have a watery deep, So this shows the possibility. Also to add to this, the Bible states that it had not rained up until the time of the flood, but the moisture come down from the sky in a dew-like form to keep the ground watered. So a completely different moisture layer contained in the sky, somewhat like a water canopy one could assume. When God caused it to rain for the first time, he could have dropped the whole lot at once over the 40 day period. Afterwards, a new atmospheric change was to apply and that is why we now have a rainbow which apparently was never seen before. No more was all of this water contained in the sky blocking the sunlight in the particular way it did, now the sunlight penetrated through in such a way that it produced a rainbow as the light on the moisture made it possible.

• Steven
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, and as to where did the water come from the earth was a giant hot house in Genesis it talks about the clouds of water above the earth. These giant clouds of water would have watered the earth like it said by tons of due falling at night. It was like plants in a bottle. condensation.

As to the genetics God made them to start with and at that time they had not started to deteriorate into birth defects.

They were closer to prerfection. We see huge tracks of land flooded under several feet of water and they grow after the water is gone. Flooding does not always kill trees or shubs. The fish would have lived and other creatures that can live in the sea. perhaps only the then known world was flooded. Genesis 11 says the earth was one language, earth meaning the people.

2 peter 3:6 talking about Noah, did the world suffer destruction? No just the wicked people.

6 and by those [means] the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water.

• 1 decade ago

I do believe that the God Yahweh flooded the entire Earth in Noah's flood. I don't know how Yahweh brought all this water up from inside the Earth to cover the highest mountains around the world. It would have to be a worldwide flood in order for the atmospheric temperature to rise at the top of mount Ararat for Noah, his family and the animals to survive without freezing to death on top of Ararat after the ark landed there. A worldwide flood would have pushed the atmosphere up with it as the sea level rose around the world thus making the surface of the water at 30,000 feet the start of the atmosphere around the world. Noah, his family and the animals would have been forced over time to abandon the ark at the top of Mt. Ararat and start following the sea level back down the mountain until they reached the base once again. The atmosphere would have followed the dropping sea level and the tops of the mountains around the world would have refrozen again. There is much more I can write on this subject then I have the time to right now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Genesis 7

10 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.

11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

(To read full chapter; http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesi... )

In verse 10 you will note the word; earth. The Bible never says "the world as the ancients knew it".

It clearly says the earth.

In verse 11, you will see that the fountains of the deep were broken up. This means the waters from places that we can not normally see, which are many, even in today's world. One example are the so called 'blue holes' that divers love to explore.

Verse 12 mentions the rain that fell, in addition to the waters from the deep. I think there was a great cataclysmic happenstance at that time. Today fossils are found on all continents, even in the most land locked areas. Water covering the entire earth would cause this sort of thing.

If you are interested in reading more, I would recommend two books by Dr. Henry M. Morris, who was both a Christian and a Scientist. The titles are "The Genesis Flood' and "The Genesis Record".

Source(s): j~
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

God did not floor the earth and it was not Noah. Sumerians, Babylonians, Greeks, and possibly ancient Hindus told deluge stories that predate the Biblical account.

Pre-Christian Versions of Noah's Ark: Flood Myths Are Common in Many Ancient Civilizations

http://ancienthistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/pre...

This was a common story and indeed many rivers overflowed regularly. There is also evidence to support the idea of a great flood, but alas, like so many of the Christian beliefs, this story was stolen and reworked into a Christian version by the church of Rome.

The apocryphal 1st Book of Enoch and the Book of Jubilees (both from the 2nd century BCE) contain elaborations and additions to the myth; even within the Biblical canon the story contains contradictions — for example, Genesis 7:17 describes the flood as lasting forty days, while 7:11 and 8:13 give its duration as one year; additionally, there are conflicting passages about the number of animals (pairs vs. groups of seven) and the source of the flood waters (below the earth vs. rainfall) — but the core of the story is familiar to most Westerners.

Do yourself a favor and get educated.

• 4 years ago

FLOOD 3 hundred and sixty 5 days Gen.5: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 25, 28 is 1056 years Gen.7:6; Noah is age six hundred at 1656th 3 hundred and sixty 5 days after Adam. i will't think of what the inhabitants would have been. The earth replaced into crammed with violence. It had on no account rained. the protecting water shelter around earth had to fall and the existence protecting earth replaced into lost. Age of guy dropped quickly. The raging planet isn't secure or cooled and no one is secure. Matt.24:7 such issues as earthquakes and wars and storms can cut back existence short at any time or deseases. If i do no longer care sufficient approximately God to do the main appropriate element and teach my new child to do the main appropriate element and have know for all I see that belongs to God, then neither me nor my new child is harmless as he belongs to me, it rather is my duty to be godly and spare my infant offsprings earlier the face of God. it is the least anybody can do. One individual in Sodom and Gomorrah. Heb.11:a million-40; 12:a million,2; those that cared would nicely be on one sheet of paper? In 6,a hundred thirty years after Eden, what share would be on the checklist that cared?

• Jeff M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Oh ya, it WAS the entire earth, tough to park an ark in a mountain range with out filling the place up with water. If ya read, and study The Word, you would know the answer. The Word tells us that there was water in three different locations, which The Almighty used for this cleansing. There was the water from within, rain from the clouds, and the "firmament' which encompassed the earth. a bubble, for lack of a better description on my part, which surrounded the earth, a layer of ice. It protected the earth, and maintained constant temp., and growing season. How do ya think we got tropical plant fossils in the hard pan of Canada, and Alaska? Whole mammoths buried in ice in Siberia? All the coal deposits are at the same levels, all over the earth. Trees, buried standing upright, fossils are all in one constant layer, through out the world. Hello!!!

• Will
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If he had flooded the whole earth, plants would have died, animals would have frozen or suffocated on the Ark, there wouldn't be enough room for all the animals since the Ark was smaller than the titanic which held 3,000 people and enough food for a week. The carnivores would have eaten the herbivores and then died, there would have been genetic crossbreeding if the animals and people had survived, and if the water had covered the mountains, 29,000 feet in the air, then the clouds would have dissipated into the water and the rain would have stopped. Long story short, the earth never flooded.

If he took the water from the 71% of the oceans, then there would be substantially less water in the oceans, causing less of a flood.

-Billy

Source(s): atheist
  • 1 decade ago

"the late Jacques Cousteau said:

‘Were the crust of Earth to be leveled-with great mountain ranges like the Himalayas and ocean abysses like the Mariana Trench evened out-no land at all would show above the surface of the sea. Earth would be covered by a uniform sheet of water-more than 10,000 feet deep! So overwhelming the ocean seems to be.’"

"It’s likely that this water came from the earth’s mantle. Geologists calculate that the rocks in the mantle still contain within their mineral structure enough water to fill the oceans at least ten times over. They also recognize that material has come out of the outer part of the mantle, which they call the ‘depleted mantle’."

• 1 decade ago

6 Noah was 600 years old when the flood covered the earth. 7 He went on board the boat to escape the flood—he and his wife and his sons and their wives. 8 With them were all the various kinds of animals—those approved for eating and for sacrifice and those that were not—along with all the birds and the small animals that scurry along the ground. 9 They entered the boat in pairs, male and female, just as God had commanded Noah. 10 After seven days, the waters of the flood came and covered the earth.

11 When Noah was 600 years old, on the seventeenth day of the second month, all the underground waters erupted from the earth, and the rain fell in mighty torrents from the sky. 12 The rain continued to fall for forty days and forty nights.

13 That very day Noah had gone into the boat with his wife and his sons—Shem, Ham, and Japheth—and their wives. 14 With them in the boat were pairs of every kind of animal—domestic and wild, large and small—along with birds of every kind. 15 Two by two they came into the boat, representing every living thing that breathes. 16 A male and female of each kind entered, just as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord closed the door behind them.

17 For forty days the floodwaters grew deeper, covering the ground and lifting the boat high above the earth. 18 As the waters rose higher and higher above the ground, the boat floated safely on the surface. 19 Finally, the water covered even the highest mountains on the earth, 20 rising more than twenty-two feet[b] above the highest peaks. 21 All the living things on earth died—birds, domestic animals, wild animals, small animals that scurry along the ground, and all the people. 22 Everything that breathed and lived on dry land died. 23 God wiped out every living thing on the earth—people, livestock, small animals that scurry along the ground, and the birds of the sky. All were destroyed. The only people who survived were Noah and those with him in the boat. 24 And the floodwaters covered the earth for 150 days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.