Owning a dog while in college: Can you make it work?

I am currently a sophomore in school and I wanted to get a puppy either in spring or summer of 2011 (end of junior year). I have owned several dogs before which all live at home with my parents so I know all about chewing, exercise requirements, training, vet bills, food costs, and everything else that goes into... show more I am currently a sophomore in school and I wanted to get a puppy either in spring or summer of 2011 (end of junior year). I have owned several dogs before which all live at home with my parents so I know all about chewing, exercise requirements, training, vet bills, food costs, and everything else that goes into owning a dog.
I am also thinking of starting my own online natural pet store this summer because I know a lot about dog nutrition and believe strongly in holistic foods, that way when when i graduate I can open an actual store. No matter what my career will involve animals...
I go to college in a small city and am getting an apartment next fall about 15 mins away in a duplex that allows pets with a decent sized yard. I love to exercise and will easily be able to have my dog join me on my daily runs. Since I am half way done with school I have taken most of my harder classes in order to make junior and senior year quite a bit easier. I will probably end up only having classes on tuesday and thursdays and the other days free.
I'm trying to get a job at one of the doggie day cares near me (which shouldn't be too hard because I have great references from a dog training facility that I interned this past summer) so that when my dog is old enough he gets to attend for free. Plus it would be a fun job to get to spend my days playing with lots of dogs.
Cost wise my parents are paying for school including most of my living expenses so most of the money I make can easily go towards my dog which I figured would be about $1000-$2000 per year in expenses.

Anyone have any experiences they can share about having a dog in college?
or any opinions?
It would be next spring or summer when I would only have three classes for the entire semester so very easy and i will have lots of free time for housebreaking and training of a puppy.

Also... I'm not much for partying, I've been there done that and it's gotten pretty old