Can i replace a torque converter on a 97 Maxima w/out having to take out the engine and/or transmission?

i had check engine codes detected on my 97 Nissan Maxima automatic,V6,3.0. (P0325) knock sensor and (P0744) Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent. Do i need to rebuild the transmission? or is there a way to install the torque converter w/out having to take out the engine or transmission? I've been told to rebuilt the transmission but it shifts gears smoothly, runs well but yes the oil is dark and is burnt. i dont want spend more than i have to.

2 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

    Nissan sells just the torque converter for $1,400 that way you buy the $1,900 transmission assembly. If the torque converter clutch inside the TQ has failed it causes metal to be worn off that metal cannot be completely cleaned out. So always replace the Radiator too the cooler gets metal in it. There are only a handful of transmission shops that can successfully rebuild the Nissan Transmissions. Or sell it quick the total for transmission replacement most often costs $3,500 then Motor and trans mounts? P0325 will not set a check engine light Knock sensor costs $180 + installation P0744 is an electrical malfunction or mechanical just not engaging have the wire tested to the torque converter lock up solenoid to the ECM So Good Luck

    Source(s): Nissan master Tech
  • 10 years ago

    Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Most independent shops don't have the Nissan Consult II scanner to read the transmission data and they may just guess too. The transmission must be separated from the motor to install a new torque converter. A misfire in the motor will trigger a knock sensor code and that can cause the torque converter clutch to go in and out of lock up triggering the PO744 code.

    You may just have to change the ATF and take care of the problem triggering the knock sensor.( off brand spark plugs?)

    Only use NGK Platinum spark plugs, other brands will cause misfires and coil problems. The ATF must be purchased from Nissan. Get the spark plugs from Advance Auto, not at the dealer.

    Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech/Infiniti Tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.