promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Irish American Heritage Month?

Why is it that we spend the entire month of February learning and celebrating Black History, but when March comes around the fact that it is Irish American Heritage month is never discussed? Is the discrimination toward Irishman not an important part of American history? Are the hundreds of inventors, teachers, writers and philosophers that are from irish decent not important?

I am not trying to be racist or self centered, i am Truly curious as to why this subject is not a larger part of our education. And this does not go for just Irish, i also want to know why November is never considered National Italian American History month, or May as Asian Pacific Heritage month, and so on. Shouldn't every different culture get an opportunity to educate the people around them about there contributions to the world we live in??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To the poster who stated that African Americans were sent to the Americas and Caribbean as slaves, SO TOO WERE THE IRISH. African American Historian Leronne Bennett describes the capture and transportation of Irish Slaves as being identical to African Slaves and states that many of the later African Slavers got their experience and capital from the Irish Slave trade. 50,000 Irish were sent to Barbados alone. The first "witch" hung in Boston was Ann Glover, an Irish Slave who was a convenient scapegoat for "unexplained happenings".

To the other poster who stated that African American make up the second largest demograpich in the United States, wrong: Per the US. Census Irish Americans make up 23% of the US Population, African Americans make up 12.4% (BTW Latino Americans make up 15.4% )

The fact that American are so unknowing of these facts is the reason we need Irish American Heritage Month, The biggest issue is that Irish American Heritage month is issued as a yearly Proclamation, it has never been made a law (as have been Jewish Heritage Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month etc). This allows public institutions to ignore it. Many of us are trying to correct this. Best suggestion is to write your Congressional and Senate representatives.

For inspiration, see this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1NJr3FQO_w

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): "To Hell or Barbados" Callaghn "White Servitude in America" Leronne Bennett, Ebony Magazine November 1969 Irish American Heritage Month Web Page http://www.irishamericanheritage.com/webpageirish1... US Census http://www.census.gov/
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Brian
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I am with you, I am Irish-American and in school I didn't hear one damn thing about Ireland or her people other then oh yeah Jack Kennedy was the only ever Irish-Catholic prez. I was never taught about the fighting in the north or the Irish being shipped as slaves to the west indies, or the Irish brigade in the civil war. We helped build this country just as much as the blacks did, but we don't make as much of a stink about being "celebrated" or featured because we moved past the victim mentality.

Source(s): Is Gael-Mheiriceanach me/I am Irish-American
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just like you want there to be an Irish history month, many people like a black history month. Black people are the second largest demographic of ethnicities in the U.S. Not to mention Black people helped build this country while she was in her earliest stages. If you're that into your cause then go out there and educate people, nothing is certainly being accomplished by complaining on Y!A.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Too undesirable satire is lost on the libs.. they have not any humorousness... it rather is an outrageous discrimination against Lithuanian human beings! It should not be allowed to proceed! we prefer NON DISCRIMINATORY celebrations of ethnicity! I propose a "Hyphenated American" month the place ALL hyphenated human beings can run amok. each and every state will host a hyphenated American team on a rotating foundation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Irish people are not a separate race,you are the same as all white people in your clan.That's why on your employment application there's no separate box to check for Irish.Be glad you have white privilege for now any ways lol.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I mean.. Blacks were shipped to the Caribbean and Americas to be slaves..

I don't see why you want to compare whatever the Irish went through to that..

No offence but seriously, African Americans have had their names taken away from them and they can't really ever trace back to where they really come from..

Whatever floads your boat though..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.