Is it illegal to wirefeed weld steam or hydronic pipes in South Dakota?

If so were could I look it up and print it out

sch 40 steel pipe

Best Answer

You are obviously not qualified to work with steam piping. My only advise to you is to refuse to do this job for liability reasons.

In most states and jurisdictions, steam piping is classified as high pressure piping when it exceeds 15 PSIG. Since you are using SCH 40 pipe this is a definite YES!

"Welding on pipe, fittings, flanges, and pressure vessels must only be done by someone with the proper credentials. Welding on pressure piping must be performed following qualified welding procedure specifications. It is the responsibility of the installer to have welding procedure specifications that are certified to meet the applicable ASME code construction;(refer to ASME code Section I and B 31.1 and ASME Code Section IX for welding procedure specifications). The National Board Inspection code which is required for repairs of pressure equipment also includes AWS (American Welding Society, www.aws.org) standard welding procedures.

Every detail of AWS standard welding procedures must be followed when welding or the weld can be deemed to not be a qualified weld and in jeopardy of having to be removed."

The main construction code used to define high pressure piping issues and requirements for construction and installation is published by the ASME.

Section I (Power Boiler) and ASME code B31.1 (Pressure Piping) codes. You can obtain copies of these code sections at http://www.asme.org or by calling 1-800-THE-ASME.

I dint know if its illegal but I wouldn't do it. You want to braze them with an oxy acetylene torch with 6% to 15% sil-phos. The wire welder wont hold as good.

complicated stuff. try searching using the search engines. that could help!