Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Good Books to read for TWEEN GIRLS?

We need some good book ideas to read, We are 12 going on 13. We dont want any kid books but more real-life stuff. We have already read Twilight Series and The Lightning Theif Series. Thnxx :)

Happy Valentine's Dayy <3

Heyy, can you please keep in mind we are 12 ! THNXX <3

Favorite Answer

I have so many favorite books, and I was an especially avid reader when I was younger (about your age), but I'll give you some suggestions. The top half or so are my favorites, but I would recommend them all.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. The book is a billion times better than the movie and I've read it so ofter that the spine is falling apart. The book on tape is awesome too.

Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (This one is more high school age, but you're almost there so I'll include it. I think it's a relatively easy read and a great book, but it deals with mature themes like drugs and sexuality- it's about a freshman in high school).

The Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale

Tamora Pierce writes some great books, some better than others.

Daughter of Venice by Donna Jo Napoli

I'll probably freak out once I post this because I'll be like: Oh no, I didn't mention this one book, but hopefully I didn't overwhelm you too much with suggestions.

Also, a more serious book, but a classic: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (also contains sexual content).

Actually I think most of the ones I mentioned have some element of romance to them, but some are more explicit/mature than others. But you read Twilight, so I think you can handle it. :D

Julliet Marillier: Her fairytale-ish plot and style might seem at first glance something for a 10 year old, but really they are right at your age group. Look into books like the The Sevenwaters Trilogy and Wildwood Dancing. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Collins, the author of the Underland Chronicles, takes a leap into young adult and a jump through time with the first book of her new trilogy. This mix of science fiction, action, and adventure was a recommended read on the website of Twilight author Stephenie Meyer. Melissa Marr: Marr's books revolve around a world where fairie exist and they aren't innocent little pixies. Wicked Lovely is a tale of forbidden love, Ink Exchance about independance, and Frangile Eternity continues the story from Wicked Lovely. Annette Curtis Klause: Klause's books are dark but lively tales that range radically from an interstellar mystery (Alien Secrets) to a vampire with a tragic past (Vampire Kisses).

No, most of these are not current books, but might interest you. Or, at least, they are probably not going to be on someone else's list

Laura Ingalls-Wilder "Little House" books.

"National Velvet"

"Black Beauty" Anna Sewell

"Black Horses For the King" Anne McCaffrey

Any of the original "Nancy Drew" books

Not girl-centric, but a good read nonetheless:

Old Yeller

Sounder

Savage Sam all three by Gipson ... found at amazon

Little Rascal Sterling North

On the fantasy side of things:

Dragonsinger

Dragonsong

Dragondrums all by Anne McCaffrey

The Narnia books by C.S. Lewis

For a young adult/teen Meg Cabot's young adult books. She is the best author. Also best selling. She wrote tons of books including the Princess Diaries (Movies based on her books), Mediator (upcoming movie), 1-800-Missing (TV show based on her books), All-American Girl (up coming movie), Jinx, Airhead and more. She has adult books too, so you can grow with her.

If you want more info or any of the authors website's email me.

You should use the website, What Should I read Next. This website will make perfect suggestions based on what you have read.

The Pretty Little Liars Series.

And Harry Potter

• ?

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr - and if you haven't checked out Harry Potter, you should!

*edit* It was Ellen Hopkins that wrote Crank and Impulse, but wait until you're about 15 to read those. They're excellent, but you're still kind of young.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

(unless you don't like things with sexual abuse)

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins (or was it Hoskins?)

about 3 teens who try to commit suicide, then meet in a mental institution.

very good.

^^^ by same author, Crank

about a girl who gets hooked on meth.

explore this author, shes very interesting.

Source(s): myself

Deadly Little Secrets by Lauire Faria Stolarz

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

ALL PAGE TURNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!