Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What's your favorite novel?

Please provide the plot of your favorite book and why it's your favorite.

I don't want to see any Twilight, vampire stories and such.

Favorite Answer

My all time favorite novel is Stranger in a Strange Land. It's a different type of science fiction because the characters and situations provided come across as very real. It's about a man, Valentine Michael Smith who was raised on Mars and comes to Earth with no real understanding of why mankind is the way it is. As he adjusts, he becomes a type of messiah to people, so there's a really unusual and interesting political and spiritual view to the whole thing. It's hard to put into words, but I've never been so devastated by a book in my life. It's strangely peaceful too, it's really hard to explain.

Lots of good information about it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange...

It's been about 8 years since I read it, so I'm due to read it again and perhaps then I can grok in full.

The Diary of Anne Frank:

A 13 year old jewish girl is living in Amsterdam during the nazi invasion, as persecution of the jews increases she, her family, another family and a dentist go to hide in her fathers office. They live there for over two years, all the time she keeps a diary. One day they are caught by the nazis and sent to concentration camps. There she dies. I love the book because she is such an Intelligent, funny and sometimes cruel character. The musings of a young teenager turn into emotional and difficult reading. If you have not read it then I urge you to read it.

I have two, both modern classics. Read them years ago and a few times since.

1. The Thornbirds, by Colleen McCullough, an Australian author. She wrote a towering saga of a 3 generation family in remote Australia. Their triumphs, tragedies, passion and pain. It was wonderful.

2. The Shell seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. Another family story revolving around a picture called the Shell seekers which was painted by the main characters Grandfather. Another, can't put it down book. In fact, I think it's time I read them again!

I have a few, so choosing this one was hard :) (I'll be as short as I can!)

The Secrets of Jin-Shei: set in a fictional country modeled after Imperial China, it's about women who have a bond called "Jin-Shei", which is essentially sisterhood. They have their own written language that men can't understand, just as they are unable to learn the "men's" language. The novel concerns a group of women from various social statuses, including the Empress herself. The sistership demands loyalty etc, but gradually the bond becomes strained as the Empress increasingly demands obedience instead of loyalty. The end is very sad, but the book itself is deliriously well written - very evocative

• Chuck

Mine is To Kill a Mockingbird. The plot of a lawyer defending a Southern minority at a time when it was not popular to do so interlaced with children growing up always kept my interest. The movie is also good. I also like poetry and Dante's Inferno.