Julia
Julia asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 10 years ago

Are You Ready To Mix It Up? (An Infusion of Lesser Known Baby Names)?

Sometimes we get caught recycling the same old names from the same old name pool of popular names. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. So, here are a few lesser known names for your consideration. You might just find one to think about or none at all, but it's still fun to have a look:

Boys:

Keenan

Shaw

Abbot

Zailor

Acea

Carlisle

Shale

Thaddeus

Dorian

Calvin

Deacon

Caspian

Artemis

Bram

Lancelot

Caian

Dell

Jadiel

Girls:

Lien

Mila

Desdemona

Briony

Catrione

Prairie

Temple

Mareli

Dayami

Nylah

Jazlene

Have fun!

Best Answer

Boys: Keenan, Shaw, Zailor, Carlisle, Shale, Dorian, Lancelot (awesome idea, I gotta say !), Caian

Girls: Mila, Briony, Mareli, Nylah (think that ones awesome)

• Calvin Lancelot

Lancelot Calvin

Mila Briony

Briony Mila

Boys: Carlisle, Thaddeus, Caspian.

Girls: Mila.

I like {b} Carlisle, Dorian, Abbot and Caspian & {g} Lien, Mila and Catrione.

I really dislike {b} Kennan, Shaw, Zailor and Calvin & {g} Desdemona, Prairie, Temple and Jazlene

I really like Keenan!

Deacon, Caspian, Caian are nice names

Mila, Briony, and Nylah are my faves from the girl list

I also like Echo, Libra, Aries, Ceres(pronounced series- means Goddess of Harvest)

Lysander, Samson and Gideon

:)

xx

Abbott & Nylah only names I would use

Boys:

Keenan -- I don't love or hate Keenan. I met a boy named Keenan once (also know a couple Keaton's and a Keyan (rhymes with Ian)). It sounds somewhat adaptable... I mean, two syllables, ends with "an"...it has something very in common with all of those other billions of popular boys names (Aidan, Ethan, all of those other -ayden names...haha). It's not my style, but I don't hate it.

Shaw -- One of my old friends had this as their last name. It always reminds me of "cat" in French, which is pronounced the same way, but spelled "chat".

Abbot -- Abbot sounds like an impressive last name (wasn't there a Harry Potter character? Hannah Abbot or something? I don't know...), but I don't love it as a first name. Kind of calls for kids to start calling him "Abby"... heh

Zailor -- Whoa, this sounds extremely sci-fi. It's too out there for me, and I've actually met a girl named Saylor...and she was brilliant.

Acea -- I don't even know how to pronounce this... is it like Asa? AY-suh.... or uh-SAY-uh, or AY-see-uh... haha, I'm so confused. Too complicated for American's, I say...

Carlisle -- It's an okay name, but is unfortunately ruined by Twilight. Twilight ruined so many good names...

Shale -- Sounds like the rock...isn't it a rock? I prefer Kale, but Shale isn't horrible.

Thaddeus -- I knew a boy with this name. He went by "Thad" though. He was a great kid. I think Thaddeus is actually quite attractive. I like it.

Dorian -- It's okay... again, I don't love or hate it. I probably prefer Darian.

Calvin -- My uncle's name is Calvin ("Cal"). It always reminds me of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, the boy from that movie... I actually really love Calvin.

Deacon -- Nah, sounds like the church...like, when my dad was a pastor, they would always have "deacons meetings" and such.

Caspian -- It's okay, I prefer Caspen, but Caspian is very enchanting. Reminds me much of Prince Caspian.

Artemis -- Whoa, this is extremely feminine.... I love it...for a girl.

Bram -- It's another okay one. I definitely prefer Abram (a favorite name of mine), but Bram is a nice nickname.

Lancelot -- Reminds me SO much of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Probably too pretentious, but I love Lance.

Caian -- Like...KY-in? I think I prefer Caius, but I don't love either. Another "too hard for american eyes" one.

Dell -- Dude, your getting a dell...need I say more?

Jadiel -- Once again, I don't know how to pronounce it... Not really my style.

Girls:

Lien -- Still confused with pronunciation... haha, like LEE-in, or...leen/line... haha, I'm very confused. It looks kind of Asian.

Mila -- Every time I see this name, it ALWAYS reminds me of MLIA (mylifeisaverage.com). One of my very best friends had a cat named Myla... haha

Desdemona -- This sounds slightly evil, IMO... I don't really like it, though it's pretty.

Briony -- I love Briony, though I prefer the original spelling, Bryony. One of my favorite names. I also love Bryn.

Catrione -- Love Catrione! Surprisingly know how to pronounce this one (kuh-TREEN), thanks to a book. haha, I think it's gorgeous. Very simple and stunning, but another one that would be mispronounced constantly.

Prairie -- Whoa, no way. This sounds extremely trendy...word names...ugh. Maybe a nice name for...a prairie dog or something, but not a child.

Temple -- Same said about Prairie...

Mareli -- This one sounds kind of silly to me. Kind of pretty, but just slightly goofy and funny. Not in a horribly bad way, but it's interesting..,

Dayami -- Sounds really asian or something. Which makes me wonder if it's pronounced day-AW-mee or dy-AW-mee. It's cute, but not one I would ever use personally.

Nylah -- Reminds me of nylon... I prefer Mila to Nylah.

Jazlene -- I met a girl named Jazleen once. I don't love the name, it seems like it's trying too hard to be elegant, and failing at it, but it is attractive. Better than Jazlyn.

-- Amy

nylah or leila. for girls

kelvin or dorian for boys

Sure, if you want your kid to get beat up in school...