André
André asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Examples and/or Data on Co-Evolution?

Doing a paper and seminar on co-evolution, and would appreciate any extra examples of co-evolution to work with.

Also any sources you think might be interesting or offer divergent hypotheses about co-evolution would be duly appreciated, preferably published online articles.

Will reciprocate your inputs and efforts by selecting a best answer.

Thank You

To elaborate a bit, I am familiar with all the Wikipedia examples, I also have a great many published articles from various sites. The Origin of Species and Pollination of Orchids from Darwin. Dawkins’ books The Ancestors Tale and Climbing Mount Improbable all bolster my reference list.

What I am looking for is a particularly cryptic or intriguing example(s) that an erudite person has come across over many years of reading articles. Again it will be greatly appreciated.

I provide this as an example:

“Convergent evolution in the antennae of a cerambycid beetle, Onychocerus albitarsis, and the sting of a scorpion”

Amy Berkov, Nelson Rodríguez & Pedro Centeno

http://www.springerlink.com/content/2021…

Something along the lines of this is what I’m talking about…

The contributions thus far from oikos and Cal King are appreciated thank you.

Favorite Answer

Geffeney, Shana L., et al. “Evolutionary diversification of TTX-resistant sodium channels in a predator-prey interaction”. Nature 434 (2005): 759–763.

"In evolutionary theory, the relationship between the rough-skinned newt and the common garter snake is considered an example of co-evolution [1]. The mutations in the snake’s genes that conferred resistance to the toxin have resulted in a selective pressure that favors newts which produce more potent levels of toxin. Increases in newt toxicity then apply a selective pressure favoring snakes with mutations conferring even greater resistance."

Whether the garter snake made the newt more poisonous over time is open to debate. The snakes must eat a lot of newts to force a change in toxicity level. After all, garter snakes eat a lot of other amphibians as well, but the other amphibians did not evolve greater toxicity and yet they seem to do okay. After all, you either evolved TTX or you didn't. You don't evolve a less toxic precursor to TTX and then gradually increase your toxicity level over time due to predation pressure. Further, other animals feed on salamanders. They, too, must have played a role in the evolution of toxicity in the newts.

One nice example is an African orchid (an Angraecum, as I recall) and a moth. The orchid has a very long nectary. Darwin predicted that it would be found to be pollinated by a previously-undescribed moth with an exceptionally long tongue. Later, the moth was discovered and given the specific trivial name "praedicta".