Q#9 Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood? (Want Christians + Atheists comments)?

Questions based on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1NDvqnnZ8

Youtube thumbnail

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES TO ATHEISTS BEFORE YOU READ THE QUESTIONS:

-If you plan to make statements about God and the Bible, you should know your Bible. Many of your questions are irrefutably answered already in scripture. The rest can be proven with archeology and science. Do you really think all these Christians aren't asking the same questions you're thinking? Many want to know the answer too to see if they aren't following a myth.

-Don't accuse the Bible to be full of error if you haven't even read through the Bible and analyzed it chapter by chapter and verse by verse and cross reference verses and use a concordance to get the meaning of the original text (translations to English create confusing uses of words that have a slightly different meaning in the original text).

-Don't base the Christian "religion" on those who practice it wrongly. There are strict guidelines in the Bible to detect a true believer. Some of the no-no's from God is vain repetition (rituals), pride (stubbornness), hypocrites (making own rules), and lukewarm christians (an atheist knows more than them). If you don't know the deeper parts of what it means to be a true christian (which takes years of study), you will be speaking out of ignorance.

-If you don't know the plan of salvation and the origin of sin, many Bible phrases will be confusing. (If you say an airplane can't actually stay in the air and you never read about aerodynamics, you will make foolish assumptions).

-By saying there is no God and the Bible is flawed, you are saying an absolute statement that you know everything. Even God tells Christians to "study to show yourselves approved so you can answer any questions" II Timothy 2:15.

-It doesn't matter what you think or say, and it doesn't matter what scientific test you use, a person can and has experienced a spiritual force from God that makes God real to even the most atheistic person. The holy spirit "is like the wind" (John 3:8) and can't be put in a box to test. (If you haven't experienced this, or at least read testimonies or witness someone being filled with the holy spirit, then you are discredited from saying it doesn't exist or it is not real). Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Who do you think you are? You can't know or understand everything.

-Atheists are masters of rationalization. The definition of rationalize is "The attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are inconclusive, perfunctory, not true or not appropriate".

-Proverbs 26:12 says, "Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him". Christians go by the Bible, which is infallible and tested by time and centuries of scrutiny, you go by sketchy science, theories, incomplete information, flawed logic and personal feelings. May the best side win.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 QUESTIONS EVERY CHRISTIAN SHOULD ANSWER: NOW ANSWERED

9. Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?

-If you read the Bible, shortly after he stated this, he explained that this was a parable, it was meant to get rid of the freeloaders who were only looking for food, and that it was spiritual, not physical (John 6:53). Read the bible, did anyone eat his body or drink his blood ever? (This is Bible logic 101).

-If Jesus were serious and we must eat and drink his blood literally, I don't think people would follow him and he could have easily been killed sooner as a cannibal. Remember, the Pharisees couldn't find any fault in anything he did or said except that he said he was the son of God and king of the Jews (which was treason, but it was still true and not a lie).

-I guess you should be put to jail when you say to you friend "I will kill you" or "I'll rip your head off". Jesus had a sense of humor too, it just happened to be symbolic.

Yahoo Answers has a word limit. Posting Next Answer as Q#10: Why do Christians get divorced at same rate as non-Christians? (Want Christians + Atheists comments)

Reached my question limit, Q#10 posted tomorrow.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure that I get where you are coming from with this one. I guess that you are asking this question sarcastically, as a sort of stab at the Catholics - who DO believe that the bread and wine physically become Jesus' body and blood.

But you make a point here that raises a question that I have for you? If it were in fact true that Jesus was who he claimed to be, why were the only people who really questioned him - "found fault," as it were - the very ones who knew something about their own Scriptures? Could it possibly be because they knew that the prophets in general - and Isaiah in particular - were in fact NOT talking about Jesus, because they couldn't possibly have been?

You talk about having a sense of humor. Well, the truth is that the devil has a sense of humor, too. What if the greatest "joke" on mankind was getting him to believe something for going on 2000 years now - believe it so much that he will will content himself with preaching it to others, but fail to live up to it himself.

So let me ask you: Are you more concerned with people believing in Christ - or in Christianity? Because if you HAVE to believe that Jesus was who he said he was, then that is severely limiting. You might as well be a robot, or a puppet.

On the other hand: If you merely believe in what Jesus preached about, then you can maintain your individuality, while STILL making this world a better place.

Jesus himself said (Matthew 21:31) that what you DO is infinitely more important than what you SAY. Having said that, I do not - I CANnot - believe that he would then be so narrow and inconsistent with himself to then say that what you SAY (namely: that Jesus is the Son of God, and as such deserves to be worshiped as same) means more than - or even AS MUCH AS - what you DO.

In short: Should everything that you say that the Bible says about God and Jesus be true, God will accept the person who LIVES like a Christian - whether or not that person ever SAYS that he is a Christian.

• MikeM

Jesus body was broken to pay the penalty for our sins.

Jesus blood was spilled to give us eternal life.

We break bread and drink wine as a reminder of what Christ did for us. It's not literal.

John 6:63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.

Luke 22:19-20 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." (20) In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

1 Corinthians 11:26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

I'm somebody who's fairly agnostic, but I grew up in a Christian household. It's the last supper. Before Jesus died he wanted those who were highest believing in him to be healed through the perfection/holiness of his blood and body.

This question always struck me as silly, to be honest, since it's obvious the text isn't literal about this.

That doesn't validate the fact that you feel the overpowering need to post a wall of disclaimer text that we're supposed to read before answering your _answer_ (not really a question when you answer it yourself, is it?).

Source(s): Agnostic atheist
  • glory

The Body of Christ is a mystery to the uninitiated. Many truths that Jesus spoke were to remain veiled to the uninitiated in Jesus beliefs. Sorry that you cannot see into these mysteries of the Jesus faith.

I like all that you said. I would like to add my perspective on the eating and drinking though.

I view it as being one with him.

More than blood compact and other rituals of binding, I view this statement as if he was saying that "you should take what makes ME and make it a part of you".

since being Christian is being CHRIST LIKE.

it is more than being fed (spiritually/physically) and more about being transformed.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

You mean to tell me that the guy who fed 5000 people with a couple of loaves of bread and some fishes was worried about freeloaders?

Dismissed with prejudice.

53Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever." 59He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.

Source(s): For the record, although I don't particularly agree with your inane interpretation, I think this is a weak question.

jake what exactly are you looking for? you obviously know your bible quite well and know that the bread and wine were symbolic. bread a symbol of His body that would be broken for us. and the wine a symbol of His blood He would shed for us. you said you wanted Christian answers but Christians know these things. you answered your question at the end saying it was symbolic. so what exactly are you looking for????

If he were a character in an Anne Rice vampire novel - of course. lol

Seriously, to show respect is what anyone really wants.