Rose E asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Looking for Great Dane breeder?

Right now I am looking for a Great Dane breeder in my state/close to home (around Syracuse, NY area). I have a Great Dane female I would like to breed. I need the male to have papers/be vet checked/and would like to see blood work done but not a must. Does any body know of any good breeders or know of an breeder web site in NY? The AKC is listing breeders way too far away. I'm also checking with an "small" animal vet soon. But does anybody know of any breeders????

I love the breed very much!!! With the only intent to supply family and close friends with my dogs line. Maybe a few others.

I am not a breeder looking to cement my dog on a wall of shelf for showing. I enjoy my dog, and my dog enjoys working an a large working farm.

Yes I have scores and blood work on my dog. Plus vet approved! Looking for a male dog a little less royal if you know what I mean.

I want my dog's puppies to be enjoyed!!!!!!

If I only went by scores and pedagree only, why would I have a dog?

Favorite Answer

Scores, conformation & pedigrees are a way to back up your planned breedings. They go hand-in-hand with planning a litter of puppies. Once you breed ONE litter you are considered a breeder. Have you done the proper research so you can honestly say you will be producing puppies that are going to be healthy for 7-9 years. Can you guarantee they are not going to fall apart at a young age. Are they going to have the proper temperament to be around children and other dogs. Do you know what proper conformation is for a dane?? Producing puppies that don't have the proper conformation can cause them pain & temperament issues when they get older.

We don't just breed for willy nilly reasons. It's a much bigger picture. All of my show dogs are pets first. They are spoiled pampered pets. They live better then a lot of humans! All of my puppies are

placed in forever loving homes.

Are You Interested In Breeding Your Great Dane?

by CADRMNDANES

So you are interested in breeding your great danes. That's wonderful!

First you need learn how to go about this the "right" way.

You are probably new to this whole thing. Many folks were in your

shoes many years ago. Trust me, many of us had to be taught the same

way you are. Thankfully, there are people out there who will take the

time to show you how to go down the right road. Please do your

research and make the right decision. Don't be kennel blind!

I am sure you have beautiful Great Dane(s)! But have you thought

about all of the issues involved in raising a healthy litter, such as

the pedigree, health tests, conformation, and faults?

Do you know the health history on each of your dog's pedigrees? Have

you studied the pedigree back 5-6 generations? Do you know if any of

them had wobblers or heart conditions? We have many serious health

problems in this breed. Just because a Dane passes a heart exam

doesn't mean it's not carrying one of the deadly heart problems that

can be passed on to their puppies. Puppies can die between 8 weeks

and 2+ years old.

Only the very best Danes should ever be bred. The only reason anyone

should breed his or her Dane is to try to improve the breed.

Has your dog/btch been evaluated in the show ring by qualified

judges against top competition? Have breeder-judges evaluated them if

they haven't shown? Can you honestly say your stud dog is better or

equal to the stud dogs on this page

http://greatdanereview.com/html/stud_gallery.html

http://www.daneworld.com/DW-DP-StudDogs.htm

Will the stud dog's conformation compliment hers? Or will you be doubling up on

bad conformation faults. Too many faults can lead to very unhealthy

danes when they get older. 2+ years you can see them start to

break down in front of your eyes. They can also develop temperament

problems when they are not healthy.

((((Vet approved doesn't mean much. Do you have OFA records to back it up. Are

your dog's names listed on the OFA site to show their result scores??

OFA hip xrays, OFA Thryoid, OFA Eye exam, OFA Heart -echocardiographic exam.

http://www.offa.org/diseaseinfo.html ))))))

Have they been OFA certified clear of hip and elbow dysplasia?

Has a veterinary ophthalmologist certified them clear of PRA,

checked their eyes and other hereditary eye defects?

Have they been tested clear of brucellosis?

Do they both have the proper temperament?

Does the dog/btch have a least 4 titled (AKC Champions) dogs in his/her 3-year

generation pedigree?

If you can answer yes to all of the above questions and you are one

of the lucky few to own an outstanding dog/btch, are you ready and

qualified to handle a stud dog or btch in season?

Breeding doesn't always happen 1-2-3. Do you have the necessary

facilities to board a btch in season, or an intact male?

Are you prepared for whelping cost and puppy care? Do you realize

that it takes more than putting two dogs in an area together? Do

you realize that leaving a dog and a btch in season alone together

can be disastrous and may even physically harm both?

Are you prepared to loose your btch during whelping or a c-section?

I have known several that have died during whelping. You then would

have to tube and bottle-feed the puppies around the clock. The

puppies may start dying one by one because they didn't get the needed

colostrum to survive and fight off diseases? Do you know anything

about Fading Puppy Syndrome?

Will you be responsible for the puppies and take one or two back a

year when the new owners no longer want them anymore?

These are some things that I have told others that are interested in

breeding quality dogs.

-Help at a local Great Dane Rescue. Believe me, you will learn a lot

there. I did!

-Get involved with your local breed club. Find a (good) mentor. Or

few. More the better! I have several

-Study the Great Dane Standard.

-Join Several Great Dane Email Lists to learn all you can.

-Know your genetics! Health & Color.

-Know Great Dane Pedigrees and not just the color you want to breed.

-Subscribe to Dane magazines. Study the pics and pedigrees.

-Learn everything you can about Canine Reproduction. Buy Books and

read them!

-Consult an attorney (specializes in animal law) to write up a good

legal Contract for your puppies. Pet and show quality.

-Learn about whelping a litter and your responsibilities.

-Buy a show quality Dane from a responsible breeder with a good

Reputation. Show your puppy! Let your peers evaluate your dogs.

-Have the proper Health testing done before breeding.

****Don't be Kennel Blind!

-Don't expect immediate success.

>>>Research, Research, Research!!

Breeding/Whelping Information

#1) Is Your Dog Breeding Quality????

http://www.bouviers.net/shouldyoubreed/breed.pdf

2)Issues to discuss before you breed your dog

http://www.learntobreed.com/

3) Dog breeding involves thoughtful preplanning!

http://www.doginfomat.com/schmidt.htm

4) GREAT DANE STANDARD

http://www.gdca.org/illustrated.htm

5) GREAT DANE HEALTH & WELFARE INFO

http://www.chromadane.com/chlinx.htm#linkgdh&w

Source(s): Show & Breed Great Danes. Member of the GDCA & GDCNC
  • KatieW

In addition to the issues mentioned so far, you need to be aware that breeding giant breed dogs has a whole host of additional problems. Often, dogs have trouble mating because they are so large and heavy...the female might not allow the male to mount her because it is painful. Often, artificial insemination is necessary in such large breeds.

Next, you need a more specialized whelping box...one that has rails so that the puppies can be on the edge of the box and the rail prevents the dam from rolling and squishing them. Accidental death due to puppies being smothered or squished by a giant breed dog is a considerable problem.

Then, if there are any complications in the pregnancy, it is going to cost more to help your dog than it would for a smaller breed. Make sure that you have money set aside in case of an emergency.

I would want more than papers (papers with who by the way? AKC? CKC? Do you know with organizations are trash and which are not? Papers is a very broad term), a vet check, and possible blood work. I would want to see the hip certifications, eye certifications, CH titles, pedigree of the stud, proof that the dog has not shown any of the health problems associated with Great Danes. It would really be awesome if your ***** and the stud were both temperament tested and passed...that would be great! Also, if this is your first time breeding...please don't choose a stud that has never bred before...you will have no idea of the types of puppies it has produced in the past.

I could write more but I think that is all for now...I'm sure others will cover things I missed.

• ?

Make sure it's a small show hobby breeder and not a mass producer. They should not be raised in a barn. Steer clear of the breeder that just brings the mom in the house to whelp and returns her to a barn when it's done. Go to the breeders home. See every dog they have. Ask questions and get a feel if this is a person that will support you with health and training decisions on your dog. There is so much pleasure to be had if you buy from the right breeders. Gosh, Attend dog shows and talk to exhibitors. In a nut shell, buy from someone that has a heart in the breed. Not just a pocket book. Ultimately find a pup that comes from stable pedigrees. That's where I would suggest you start..

Even IF you could find someone with a quality male (not that you will) What makes you think you can afford his stud fee? Your dog isn't going to produce a pup useful in a breeding program, that's for sure.

" I need the male to have papers/be vet checked/and would like to see blood work done but not a must." , See this right here, the fact you don't even know the genetic testing required for this breed and don't even care if its done or not shows you SHOULD NOT BE BREEDING. I am sure your friends and fam will be so happy to know you aren't trying to provide them with the healthiest pups possible. A routine vet check means JACK.

Unless your vet is a great dane breeder his/her approval means JACK SHT as well.

Oh you have scores on your dog? Then what's her OFA number that will show she's had Hips, Cardiac and thyroid checked out? What were her CERF results? Can you provide a recent test for brucellosis showing her negative status? Can you provide a 6 gen pedigree? Information on those dogs?

You are dreaming if you think anyone with a genetically and temperamentally sound stud worth breeding is going to let your ***** anywhere near him.

• What are your dog's hip scores? Is she an AKC champion? Has she tested clear of thyroid problems, von Willibrand's disease, heart problems, brucellosis, and hip dysplasia? Do you know which colors can and can't be bred to each other? Is your dog at least 2 years old?

Breeding is much more complicated than just putting two dogs in a room together; reputable breeders study for years before attempting their first breeding. It's also expensive to do it right, so you won't make a profit. Just get your dog spayed and leave the breeding to people willing to put the effort into doing it correctly.

any GOOD breeders will NOT let you use their stud unless you female is CH title, and had all proper health tests thru OFA, CERF, BAER, PennHip and Optigen.. she will also be expected to have passed all STD screenings as well. Pedigree will likely be scrutinized.

You will be expected to show that you are knowledgeable in breeding, genetics, whelping, breed standards, puppy raising, etc.. and also have a knowledge of your b*tch's pedigree... if you are a beginning breeder, you should also have a breeding mentor

You will also be expected to have a means to pay for the proper care of this litter, prenatal care, emergencies, etc.. and have a good relationship with your vet.

Good breeders dont let their studs out to just anyone!

also good breeders dont select dogs based on whats closely available.. they find the best possible mate for their dog, even if that means importing from another country.

ADDED

blood tests dont rule out things like hip displasia.. and "vet approved" doesnt mean anything either.

You go by scores and pedigrees to assure that you are breeding HEALTHY dogs!

If your friends and family want just a pet, there's more than enough of those in shelters and rescues.

I'd suggest heading to dog shows in your area. you can meet breeders in person, look at their dogs, ask lots of questions, and get a good idea of what you're working with. Most of the breeders you'll find at an AKC show will be honest with you and let you know if they want their bloodlines crossed with yours.

No reputable breeder, with a good dog, is going to breed to your dog. Your dog obviously has not obtained a breed championship, and I doubt that she's had any health and genetic testing done. Just what makes her breed worthy? Why do you want to add to the over population of dogs when millions are euthanized in shelters each year because of backyard breeders?

If you call the AKC they have a list of local websites and communities.