Ulysses S. Grant's "Great Barbecue"?

I'm writing an essay and I'm done with most of it, but my teacher told to include something called "Grant's 'Great Barbecue'" and I have no idea what he means. I've searched on the internet and in my textbook, but I am unable to find something related to this topic. I would appreciate any help.

Favorite Answer

This refers to the decade after the Civil War, which was filled with graft and corruption.

Well, if you're making a Got Milk advert, I could propose utilizing that slogan, until you imply you're creating a Got Milk parody. If that's the case, how approximately Got HUG? Those are his exact initials (Hiram Ulysses Grant) however he modified them while he joined the navy when you consider that he did not feel a person must sound so cuddly. As a photograph, I could use any of his black and white snap shots. Those are approximately all that exist that could paintings for this sort of factor. You can discover them effortlessly on Yahoo or Google.

I have read some civil war history and it doesn't a ring a bell to me either. maybe it refers to something he did as president. Or maybe it could refer to one of three incidents...

1. feeding the conf. prisoners when Vicksburg fell in 63.

2. The large raid on the Union beef herd by confederates in 64.

3. Feeding the conf. army after the surrender at Appomatox....

maybe something else?????

This is the only thing I could find and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense as to why it would be referred to as the great barbecue

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/142332/C...