How can I get a 2009 Illinois state income tax refund check reissued to me?

My daughter got ahold of the mail (she's 2) and ripped my check in half how do I get another check from the state?

4 Answers

  • garyg7
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Tape the check back together and take it to the bank.

    If that doesn't work, call the Illinois Department of Revenue at 800-732-8866 or 217-782-3336 and explain what happened. You will probably be sent a form to fill out explaining what happened. Send it back with your information and you will likely receive a new check in a month or two.

    I hope this helps.


  • 4 years ago

    Illinois State Refund Check

  • 1 decade ago

    The best thing I can think of is find a number to call for your state's income tax department, and try your best to get a live person. There may be a number actually printed on the torn check, or a number on your return, or a number in you phone books government pages.

    Let them know of the situation, and like most paper checks, they should be able to cancel the first and re-issue a new one to you. On the other hand, this is why I love the direct deposit. I have a 2 year old also and I would be so upset if she did that!

    Be sure to hold onto the torn check, as they may want the check number and such information, and have the copy of your return handy, because I would think they are going to want to ask you a billion questions from it in order to verify your identity and the amount of your refund. Also keep on hand any social numbers in case they ask, AGI, phone numbers, address, DOB, etc.

    Best of luck to you, and I hope you get your new one asap!! :)

  • 4 years ago

    Mick Dale and Mike Lewis posted the same question. You should see the answers side by side.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.