Is it legal for the president of the U.S.A. be president of the United Nations Security Council?
Is it legal for the president of the U.S.A. to be president of the United Nations Security Council.
Can he even hold a chair in the United Nations Security Council.
- Whatever4Lv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
Yes it's legal. Each nation in the SC gets to chair the SC for one month at a time, and the Presidency rotates through the year. The highest ranking person present in that country's delegation gets to be the President. If the official is only at the UN for a few days, then the next ranking member is the President for the rest of the month.
The relevant part of the Constitution is Article 1 Section 9: No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.
1. The UN isn't a foreign state, King or Prince. It's an organization of member states. People aren't members, countries are. So the President of the US isn't a member of the Security Council, the US is.
2. Other officers of the US have held the title before with no problems -- various Secretaries of State and VP (Al Gore) to name two.
3. The US Law enabling membership in the UN pre-approves such an action.
4. The President could be appointed King of England if Congress approved it.
Obama was President of the Security Council for a day or two in September 2009, Hillary Clinton was for a few days, and Susan Rine, the UN Ambassador was Presedent the rest of the month. The US holds the Presidency again in December 2010.
- LynnLv 51 decade ago
The presidency of the Security Council isn't held by a person, but by a country, and it's on a rotating basis. The president is the head of the delegation from the Security Council member state that holds the presidency, so when it's the US's turn, it's the role of the US ambassador.
I know of no reason why it would be "illegal" for a US president to take that role, but as far as I know, it's never happened.