Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

What can I plant here now?

The snow storms that we just had in Pennsylvania just broke my 2 bushes out front of my house in half. Oh well it was from the previous owners anyway and I always thought that they were too big for that spot. One was a 7 foot butterfly bush and the other a 6-7 foot ever green bush (not sure of the species). Anyway I would like to replace at least on of these spots with a smaller shrub. I prefer one that grows pretty flowers. Any recommendations? Maybe something 4 to 5 feet or smaller.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Azaleas and Rhododendron will thrive and produce flowers in your cool climate and acidic soil. 'Rodies' will grow tall (6-7 ft) but can be trained if pruned early. Azaleas grow 3-4 ft.

Another plant is Peonies. They are a small shrub with beautiful, large flowers.They are similar to double roses. They will die back almost totally in Autumn. Just cut off the dead wood and they will come back to 2-3 feet high next year.

All are perennials. And I hope you like white, light pink, med pink, dark pink or red flowers. These are the color choices. All need some 'elbow room' to grow. All can handle snow.

Good luck!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

each and every determination has reward, and down-sides. actual vegetation are a lot greater relaxing to have in the tank as they improve, reproduce, and supply the fish some thing to %. at. Biologically, they do away with some nitrogen from the device and convey oxygen for the fish. i know some people who've tanks that are basically thoroughly planted and haven't any fish because of the fact they savour the planted factor a lot. you are able to upload CO2, severe lighting fixtures fixtures, and ferts, and turn your tank right into a jungle in a count of weeks. There are some super down sides however. If perfect care isn't occupied with the water, vegetation can rot, which could be poisonous to the fish. there is likewise numerous pruning with the speedy growing to be vegetation, which could be a difficulty to a pair. As pronounced above, planted tank set united statescould be costly, yet once you stick to low mild vegetation including java fern, you will get by technique of with the inventory aquarium kits. in case you do bypass planted, attempt java fern and java moss in the beginning up, and make specific what you're paying for isn't meant for a terrarium. Plastic vegetation are super because you are able to set them and overlook them. You %. out what you like and that's extraordinarily a lot it. they do no longer do something to income/harm the chemistry of the tank, and don't require any artwork (different than the occasional rinse). maximum fish won't care in case you utilize actual or pretend so it finally comes all the way down to what you like. on your daughter, i could advise utilising pretend vegetation and upload in low maintenance actual vegetation because of the fact the tank matures (you've got the two). you will get an air pump, tubing, and an air stone for greater or less $15-$20, which will upload a lot of oxygen to the water. you should purchase embellishes with air stones outfitted into them and that they are extraordinarily cool as nicely. puppy save workers not often know what they are talking approximately whilst it includes aquariums, so do exactly the study first and you'd be advantageous.

• 1 decade ago

A visit to several of your local nurseries in the area ought to give you an idea of what will grow and also give you and idea of what would look good there and what you like.

Also, there are garden clubs that might recommend something.

You will need to be aware of the "zone" of your location and whether or not your planting area is facing north, south, sun exposure, etc.

You can also get a listing from you local extension agency.

• 1 decade ago

Butterfly bush

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hydrangea is a beautiful flowering shrub.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.