Anonymous

How racist or racially insensitive is John Mayer?

How dare he say he has a n**** pass? Then on top of that, he degrades Black women as well. This is exactly why Black people need to stop using the N word. Rappers need to stop using it, because it is downright insulting and degrading. And mind you, I am a 21 year old, who listens to tons of rap. Don't give me that lame "er" and "a" argument. The thing is Black people use it so much, now some White people, especially those that are accepted in Black circles, start to feel far too comfortable, and feel they have liberty to say that world. It is a word that should not be used by ANYBODY at any time. I know I am going to get ambushed, so I will conclude with this: Slurs towards women, gays, and other races should not be used either.

Favorite Answer

good point. Vietnamese people don't call each other g o o k s or slopes or slants. And they're totally acceptable people making lots of money. They don't get into "clown" dancing or jive talkin', silly childish "ethnic" crap that keeps them in a certain type of mental mindset. Chinese people don't do it. People from India don't do it. People from Russia don't do it. People from various countries in Africa don't do it.

It's only in this country that many people with black skin, particularly in southern california, use the N word so much to give themselves a cultural identity that defines themselves as ignorant, brutal, self-loathing, promiscuous, threatening, picked on, discriminated against and hopeless.

John Mayer Racist

John Mayer is a turd pure and simple. He writes a song on waiting for the world to change and then disrespects blacks with the n word,explains that he has a kkk penis & doesn't like black girls really why did he even have to state this who cares who you like geesh. I hope people stop listing to this fool's music really its not that great besides "Waiting for the World To Change" his songs are pretty irritating. John Mayer instead of waiting for the world to change maybe you should take your own advice and change yourself.

As for the N word being used casually among blacks it makes me cringe what happened to the N word being a bad word. Remember School Daze when Larry Fishbourne had to school a couple of fools that used the word "Your not N". In the words of 80's rap every time we use that word "Were Headed for Self-Destruction" look how many non-blacks use it like there's nothing wrong with it. We have the power to make that word die stop using it.

What he said was totally unacceptable and he was out of line. I agree with you on black people really need to stop calling each other that derogatory word I don't care how much black people try to justify themselves. But that still doesn't give that ignorant John Mayer or anyone else a free pass. His whole interview was just inappropriate. I've never heard of this guy before until now.

i believe he was just trying to be provocative. A lot of people get in that mood sometimes. Saying he "is" racially insensitive, instead of "was racially sensitive during the moment he was interviewed" is kind of baseless to me. It could be true, but there is no reason to think so.

And I don't care what people say, it is also not racist to say you are not attracted to black women. People are allowed their own preferences, and a lot of men do not find black women attractive. His wording was definitely bad, but I really think he was just trying to be provocative.

Sometimes when white people do something "racist", it's just like when Madonna humps an animal on stage or something. It's a way to get attention.

No, I completely agree with you. Lots of white people are desperate to label everything as 'racist' and I have no idea why. Not all races are the same. We are different, some are better at certain things, some excel in other areas. To acknowledge these facts is not racist, stating a fact is never, in my opinion, racist.

He's DEFINITELY racially insensitive.

But in all honestly, compared to the rest of the world, he's pretty even. At school I hear the word used at least 20 times a day.

He is, and in the public he needs to be more aware, but many other people are too.

I fully agree. It's considered a bad word, and we don't like others using it, but really instead of attacking ppl who aren't black for saying the n-word, we need to hamper down on the blacks who say it first.

Though that doesn't excuse John Mayer for saying it. He should have known better.

Agreed. But i respect him for being honest. he is insensitive, and i do not think he is racist. He is just like many other Americans, he is bombarded by so many negative images of black people he doesn't know what to think. He has black friends, Im sure. He just doesn't know. I like his music, and I def. accept his apology. I do not compare him to Don Imus or someone else who made that kind of remark, I just don't see John Mayer in that way, he seems like a cool *** dude. Everyone says things they regret sometimes.

He's just really ignorant and he's been hanging around some very ignorant people that convinced him using the N word was cool...FOR ANYBODY!