So SICK of hearing that Iran is going to make an atomic bomb. Show me the evidence?

Even if Iran increased the degree of their plutonium enrichment, you've got to have so much more technology in place in order to actually build a bomb! Plus, the International Atomic Energy Commission is inside the country monitoring Iran's activities. This whole situation smacks of the same "weapons of mass destruction" threat that never really was in Iraq. The potential "threats" you keep seeing in headlines (e.g., "Iran Atom Bomb Seen Attainable," Reuters) are not based on the actual circumstances. People keep saying that Ahmadinejad is a crazy terrorist. Where's the evidence even for that?--because he said Israel doesn't deserve to be a state it means he's going to nuke it as soon as he gets the bomb? At the risk of retaliation? Ridiculous! Why does the news media keep stretching the truth about this? Are they just intending to create as much fear and negative sentiment over Iran as possible?-much like they did with Saddham Hussien before Iraq was invaded?

This info, though not from the best source, contains evidence (with citations) that Iran does NOT have the ability or the desire to build an atomic bomb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_program_of_Ir...

*In December 2007 the United States National Intelligence Estimate (representing the consensus view of all 16 American spy agencies) "judged with high confidence" that Iran had halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003, with "moderate confidence" that the program remains frozen, and with "moderate-to-high confidence" that Iran is "keeping open the option to develop nuclear weapons." The estimate said that the enrichment program could still provide Iran with enough raw material to produce a nuclear weapon sometime by the middle of next decade but that intelligence agencies “do not know whether it currently intends to develop nuclear weapons” at some future date.

*In February 2009 testimony before the U.S. Senate, Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair reaffirmed the conclusions of the 2007 National Intelligence Estimate and said "although we do not know whether Iran currently intends to develop nuclear weapons, we assess Tehran at a minimum is keeping open the option to develop them."

--to "keep open development" doesn't mean anything in the real world!

-- "when could" Iran have a bomb doesn't matter if they don't have the resources or reason to actually do it!

Again, given the news media keeps screwing with people's minds suggesting that Iran is developing an atomic bomb, WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE?

Update:

Look at those first two answers to my question. I don't believe it. Leave it to Americans to act on a PERCEIVED but not an actual threat.

Update 2:

Anybody: I ASKED FOR EVIDENCE!!!

Update 3:

Americans: It's not "sensible" to be paranoid!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If we could build a bomb 60+ years ago, they can do it today.

You will be screaming for evidence until they day they set one off. How do I know? Because you stated that you think Iraq never had WMDs, even though we know for an absolute fact that he had chemical weapons because he used them against the Kurds and Iranians. If this type of hard evidence cannot convince you, you are immune to reality.

• 1 decade ago

The problem with divulging intelligence publicly is it also usually can indicate the source of how it was obtained.

For instance, if the gov't presented papers pilfered from the Iranian nuclear program, the Iranians will quickly figure out where those pages came from, who had access to them, and quickly uncover our intelligence source.

Same goes for photos (other than aerial). They can track down who might have been in a position to take those photos.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the enrichment to 20% is beyond iran ability to make into a medical use isotope. only brazil and france have the capacity. iran hid their full program for twenty years, until 2003 i believe. everything they do tells us they are trying to act like saddam, they are lying to bluff the international community or they are doing it. we can either be proactive or reactive.

• 1 decade ago

They are a rogue country with the ability now. AND AND AND they have told they world the plan on wiping Israel off the map.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Building the support for an all out war. If we attack iran you can bet it's WW3!

http://ithp.org/Going%20Postal/olbermann.html

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

who cares if they do or not

maybe israel should learn to get along with it's neighbors and quit living off USA welfare checks

then maybe iran wouldnt be making rumblings

and they never said they would 'wipe israel off the map', they said 'the regiem would vanish form the pages of time', much like the soviet union did

but the soveit union never got 'wiped off the map'

SCREW Israel and their warmonegering propagandists who are ENDLESSLY trying to get USA into mideast wars

I guarantee you the day the USA is tapped out, Israel will side with ANYONE against us for a couple of sheckles

• Why take the chance as they have said they wanted to blow the U.S. off the map

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Too long didn't read......Are you willing to take the chance?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.