Dr Jello asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 10 years ago

If Record Cold and Snows are Caused by Global Warming, Then Does Global Cooling Cause Heat Waves?

Somehow I think believers would accept only half of that statement.

However they do believe snow is caused by warming:

"Most climate scientists respond that the ferocious storms are consistent with forecasts that a heating planet will produce more frequent and more intense weather events"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/science/earth/11...

For myself, I believe that the Earth is starting to enter into a cooling phase that is going to usher in a new little ice age, and this is the reason why Brazil is having record heat waves.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

I don't know what will happen - neither do you, neither do they.

I do know that whatever happens, it'll be deemed "catastrophic" and "unprecedented" and blamed on us, and used to justify some new tax or other governmental power.

Why not just be honest - raise taxes, take control of the means of production, and just admit that it's completely arbitrary?

• 10 years ago

Warm(er) air is more conducive to snowfall because warm air holds more moisture. But without those cold arctic and polar fronts bringing freezing temperatures, the snow doesn't happen. Likewise, you need a water source. Whether it is a lake, river or ocean. The Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic-based lows bring in water over top the cold airmass. Many storms lose moisture as they ascend over mountainous regions. In essence they dry out. Many storms that start near lakes will not produce very much snow the farther from that lake or lakes.

But to say that it is global warming that is accounting for these snowfalls, is a reach. Things like a descending or ascending jet stream, an upper air trough, a vorticity max or some other disturbance is what causes the lift necessary to produce clouds, which produces the chance for rain.

These outbreaks, whether cold or warm are not necessarily a harbinger of any global trend, but more than likely, part of a long term cyclical process, that has more to do with the exchange of heat between oceans and the surrounding sea surfaces and atmosphere...

JS- you just proved my point. It is warm air mixing with colder that produces this kind of snow. it takes moisture and that comes from ocean bodies, generally for this kind of event. It is plainly evident, that most here know so little about climate and weather. The ones who claim this is all junk science, has it right

Source(s): Meteorologist Mike Scott
  • 4 years ago

I completely agree that everything politicians say is mostly for political purposes. That is why, when discussing climate change, one should not pay attention to them but instead learn the science behind it. That science being the effect carbon dioxide has in our atmosphere and what an increased effect it, as well as both negative and positive feedbacks, has on our climate.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Look, you just don't get it.

You are not going to get an answer to your Q because the answer doesn't exist. The Q is like: How many drops of water are there in the Atlantic Ocean? Get 100 scientists and 100 answers. Each one will say, "My answer is right, if you don't believe me, count the drops yourself!"

They will use extrapolation to pollute (sorry), to confirm their research and computer modelling to present their findings. Just how do you peer review the original data? THERE ISN'T ANY, coz it would take a million years to compile it all.

It's random, unprovable, dishonest and a total sell-out of the scientific profession...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • J S
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Do you assume "record cold" simply because there's more snow than normal? That would be an incorrect assumption. As this article explains, climate change results in more energetic storms containing more moisture, and if that moisture falls when the temperature is below 32 degrees Farenheit, it falls as snow, even thought your average temperature may be warmer (for example 32 instead of 30):

Snowstorm: East Coast Blizzard Tied to Climate Change

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599196229400

As the article also points out very clearly, "Colder air, by contrast, is drier; if we were in a truly vicious cold snap, like the one that occurred over much of the East Coast during parts of January, we would be unlikely to see heavy snowfall."

So clearly this winter is most likely to be warmer, not colder than normal.

Does this help clear up your confusion?

Of course climatologists explain this over and over, so even politicians know this is evidence supporting climate change, but dishonest people with an agenda (as noted in the article) will manipulate the public with whatever tools are available (including the public's lack of understanding of "cold" vs. "more moisture is falling while it's still cold enough to snow").

The answer to the question is "no", but the question itself makes no logical sense.

• lulu
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

We did the ice age in the late forties, surely we must be due for the dangerous moderate temperatures forecast that could lead to untold problems for our planet.

• Oscar
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

For some reason I always think of George Orwell's 1984 and doublethink when they say things like that. Up is down and hot is cold.

• 10 years ago

Yep. One of the stupidest things I've heard regarding global warming. Bill Nye on Rachel Maddow saying that anyone who doesn't believe in Global Warming is "unpatriotic". Even as left as they come Maddow called him on that one. But that's the mentality of the global warming alarmists we are dealing with.

• 10 years ago

Yes, and then sometime around June, we expected another warming phase, followed by another cooling phase around November or so.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

theres no such thing as global cooling because rising co2 omissions are greenhouse gases and heat is getting trapped inside of earth so the heat is warming our earth raising the sea levels and then flooding the entire world all the world will get flooded and we all die =D enjoy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.