Carpet foam back stuck to Concrete slab, how to remove it?

My husband and I are pulling up some old carpet that is in our kitchen(i know repulsive). Apparently the pad was made into the carpet and it was glued down, so when we are pulling it up just the top layer of carpet is tearing off and the pad is left in splotches on the floor. As of now we have been scraping it... show more My husband and I are pulling up some old carpet that is in our kitchen(i know repulsive). Apparently the pad was made into the carpet and it was glued down, so when we are pulling it up just the top layer of carpet is tearing off and the pad is left in splotches on the floor.

As of now we have been scraping it will all kinds of things.

Anyone have any advice on how to remove this pad and glue residue more effectivly?

We are putting a vinyl "wood look" floor down as soon as we get this mess off and primer the floor.

Please help! First time "do it your self ers"
Update: Just another reason I hate the 70s besides retarded bull crap like glueing down carpet in a kitchen
Update 2: I can't wait to enjoy the new floor, if it ever gets here! I feel hopeless right now!