MB asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

What nationalities make up Greenville, SC?

-What about the south (US) in general?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Greenville, South Carolina is in the United States of America so the most common nationality in Greenville, S.C. and most of the South is American. I have relatives in Greenville and nearby Spartanburg. Our family, most of the families in South Carolina and most of the families in the South are the descendants of the English, Scots, Welsh, Irish, Germans, Moravians and French Huguenots (who came by way of the Netherlands and the British Isle) who settled there in the 17th and 18th centuries and fought for American Independence. They won the right for us to call ourselves Americans. I am very proud of my ancestors who fought for what they believed in during those years; even the ones who fought on the other side!

If a family was in the South at the time of the War for States Rights (1860-1865) the family was almost certainly there before the Revolution (1776-1782).

Edit: Shirley T and I gave you similar info, each in our own way. What we forgot to mention are the people of American nationality around Greenville whose ancestors were from sub Saharan Africa. These Americans have always been an important part of the community in Greenville in S.C. and in the USA. It was a major mistake that we should have forgotten them-probably because none are in our ancestral lines in past 500 years.

Source(s): Maps, American history books, family research
  • 1 decade ago

Last I checked Greenville was still in the good old US of A. That makes their nationality American. Now there was a time Greenville and every other city in so-called Dixieland didn't want to be a part of the good ole US of A but that was quite a long time ago, even though many of those living there are still proud of the fact and to this day love to hang that stars and bars flag to that cause in the back windows of their pickup trucks, right under their shotgusn. At any rate, they are today none other than Americans.

• 1 decade ago

I keep think of new things. I would imagine you mean ethnicities. The U.S. State Department defines nationality as citizenship and most dictionaries define it as where you are born. However, this can be confusing as in the U.S. we grant citizenship to persons born here to foreign nationals. Not every country views everyone born in them as a citizen or a national or their country. Nationality has nothing to do with the origin of your ancestors.

The Anglo Saxon people of the American South are usually a blend of English, Scottish, Scotch-Irish, French Huguenot and German. Although Anglo Saxon specifically means English. The Carolinas particularly had a lot of Huguenots coming there during colonial days. The early colonials naturally were English. North Carolina generally had more Germans and Gaels. Anybody with any English lines that goes back to early colonial days in the South,even those of humble means, will usually find gateway ancestors leading them to English royal lines. Now a lot of people might have royal ancestry but it might be so far back their ancestors had fallen off the chart by the time they arrived in the colonies.

Of course today people have moved from north south and vice versa so I would imagine they have had influx of other people. Charleston SC was a major port of immigration at one time.

Before the Civil War South Carolina was one of the wealthiest states in the Union. The port of Charleston was a major U.S. port. North Carolina was one of the poorest as it did not have any areas good for ports and therefore had difficulty with commerce. North Carolina was called by some the "rip van Winkle state."

The 4 southern states were founded as Church of England colonies and generally speaking they were more a little more tolerant of other religious groups in some colonies. However, some in South Carolina colony was a little reluctant to grant rights to people of other faiths.

You mentioned other southern states, Louisiana was a French ruled possession at one time and they had a French settlement in New Orleans in the late 1600s. Then

French Acadians came down in the middle 1700s. So the southern part of Louisiana is French and Cajun French. Also some Spanish and Gael. In the northern part of Louisiana are "redcoats." France gave safe haven into the Louisiana territory for those who supported King George during the American revolution. Many historians felt the battle of New Orleans wasn't necessary. However if Mother England had managed to link up with those people the war would have lasted a lot longer. Some didn't even celebrate the 4th of July untill after WW2.

Texas was ruled by Spain and for 15 years was part of Mexico Spain established a small colony at San Antonio in 1731. At one time about 60% of those of Spanish speaking background were dscendants of those colonist.

Also being close to Mexico Texas has always had a large amount of people immgrating across the border, both legally and illegally. I live n Southeast Texas close to Louisiana and we have a large Cajun population her. We also have always had a large Italian population but no specific caucasian ethnic neighborhoods. In the central part of Texas a lot of the people are German and Czech.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.