Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What do Jehovah Witnesses believe in?

Ive always been curious as to what they believe in and why they cant celebrate holidays..

I dont really want links to religious sites/preaching...

Oh my god david, Im not interested in converting. Why are you so sure that your opinion is better than everyone elses? It makes you sound very arrogant and kind of crazy. Im not even Christian, I was just curious.

Thank you, that was interesting..I enjoyed reading that. I have another question..so, I understand that a lot of Jehovah witnesses do not celebrate holidays because of their Pagan roots..but what does that matter anymore? I dont celebrate Christmas because its religous to some people or Halloween because its a Pagan tradition. I do it because I want to spend time with my family, or I like dressing up(Im kind of artsy so I like making costumes), or I want to give a gift of appreciation to my loved ones and so I find it a good and useful tradition. Its what I make it, not what other people tell me it is or used to be hundreds of years ago. No?

No I dont need to do it that way, it has just become its own little ritual for my family! Im not even religious at all.

Favorite Answer

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses basically Jehovah's Witnesses believe in an Almighty Creator, identified in the bible as Jehovah. They believe the bible is God's inspired word. Jehovah's Witnesse ARE Christian; they believe that Jesus is God's son (not God himself) and the only hope for mankind. They preach that God's Kingdom is a govenment under christ that will one day transform the earth into a paradise garden where all people can live happily.

#QUESTION: How are Jehovah's Witnesses different from other Christian Groups? Among other things,

*Jehovah's Witnesse are the only religion that do not believe in the immortality of the soul.

*They do not believe in eternal torment (hell)

*They do not believe the trinity is scriptural.

You can find the full list of their beliefs in the link below: scroll down (to the table)

http://www.watchtower.org/e/jt/article_03.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JWquestions-and_answ...

Short film (BBC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vITFBwAsUbE

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

EDIT: Why do Jehovah's Witnesses care about the origins of holidays?

Because the bible indicates that God cares about the ORIGINS of particular practices. When the Israelites "adopted" religious practices, changed them (presumably disregarding their original meaning) and celebrated them for their own reasons (calling it a festival to THEIR god, Yahweh/Jehoavah) the God of the bible was far from pleased (I won't put a bible reference here since you are not inclinded in that way).

Religious holidays rarely entirely lose their religious links (the "dressing up", decorations, exchanges etc usually retain clear indication of their religious/spiritistic roots) and mixing what we view as false religious practices with true is not compatible to our personal faithbased consciences.

On a personal level how a practice originated matters to me. To illustrate, as a black person, if there was an "innocent fun filled" celebration where little brown cookies where hung on a tree and the children got to eat cherries and NO ONE thought about its origins, if I however found out that the celebration was started by the KKK when they hung black people from a tree and brown cookies represented the bodies and the cherries represented the blood of these poor people.... even if it were a MILLION years ago and I was the only person that knew its origins, I could not "celebrate" this because its origins are personally abhorrent to me. In short, even if nobody else cared, I would care. I wouldn't necessarily tell other people not to celebrate but I wouldn't expect pressure to violate my personal values and 'join in just for fun'.

It's similiar with many "holy-days" their origins are just a Wikipedia away and clearly still seen in the practices and for these reason we still find them objectionable.

What do the Jehovah's Witnesses Teach?

by Matt Slick

1. There is one God in one person, Make Sure of All Things, p 188.

2. There is no Trinity, Let God be True, p. 100-101; Make Sure of All Things, p.386.

3. The Holy Spirit is a force, not alive, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, p.

406-407.

4. The Holy Spirit is God's impersonal active force, The Watchtower, June 1, 1952,

p. 24.

5. Jehovah's first creation was his 'only-begotten Son'. . . was used by Jehovah in

creating all other things", Aid to Bible Understanding, p. 390-391.

6. Jesus was Michael the archangel who became a man, The Watchtower, May 15,

1963, p. 307; The New World, 284.

7. Jesus was only a perfect man, not God in flesh, Reasoning from the Scriptures,

1985, p. 306.

8. Jesus did not rise from the dead in his physical body, Awake! July 22, 1973, p. 4.

9. Jesus was raised "not a human creature, but a spirit." Let God be True, p. 276.

10. Jesus was born again, The Watchtower, Nov. 15, 1954, p. 682.

11. Jesus did not die on a cross but on a stake, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985,

p. 89-90.

12. Jesus began his invisible rule over the earth in 1914, The Truth Shall Make You Free,

p. 300.

13. Jesus' ransom sacrifice did not include Adam, Let God be True, p. 119.

14. Their church is the self-proclaimed prophet of God, The Watchtower, April 1,

1972, p. 197.

15. They claim to be the only channel of God's truth, The Watchtower, Feb. 15,

1981, p. 19.

16. Only their church members will be saved, The Watchtower, Feb, 15, 1979, p. 30.

17. Good works are necessary for salvation, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 1,

p. 150, 152.

18. The soul ceases to exist after death, Let God be True, p. 59, 60, 67.

19. There is no hell of fire where the wicked are punished, Let God be True, p. 79, 80.

20. Only 144,000 Jehovah's Witness go to heaven, Reasoning from the Scriptures,

1985, pp. 166-167, 361; Let God be True, p. 121.

21. Only the 144,000 Jehovah's Witness are born again. Reasoning from the

Scriptures, 1985, p. 76.; Watchtower 11/15/54, p. 681.

22. Only the 144,000 may take communion.

23. Blood transfusions are a sin, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp. 72-73.

24. The Cross is a pagan symbol and should not be used, Reasoning from the

Scriptures, 1985, p. 90-92.

25. Salvation is by faith and what you do, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 1, p.

150,152.

26. It is possible to lose your salvation, Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, p.

358-359.

27. The universe is billions of years old, Your will Be Done on Earth, p. 43.

28. Each of the 6 creative days of God in Genesis 1, was 7000 years long.

Therefore, Man was created toward the end of 42,000 years of earth's

preparation, Let God be True, p. 168.

29. They also refuse to vote, salute the flag, sing the "Star Spangled Banner," or

celebrate Christmas or birthdays. They are not allowed to serve in the armed

forces.

30. Satan was entrusted with the obligation and charged with the duty of

overseeing the creation of the earth, Children, p. 55.

Field Service In Noah’s Day

Noah: good morning, my name is Noah and I’m calling

House Holder: look mate make it quick will you I am very busy eating and drinking

Noah: well I will be brief then, I am calling on you and your neighbours to discuss World Conditions, what do you feel is the most urgent problem we face today?

House Holder: well first, it never rains

Noah: that is because

House Holder: and second we have a public eye – saw in the neighbourhood

Noah: really, what is that?

House Holder: some religious nut on the other side of the hill is building this great Big Boat of some kind, True everybody like to tinker on the weekends but this person is going overboard

Noah: strange you should mention overboard?

House Holder: look! Mr. Noah, I admire your zeal and devotion but I have had discussion with members of your family before and I am just interested, besides I am getting ready for my daughters wedding, you should see the Guy she is marrying, WOW, he must be 9 Foot Tall if he is an inch, his name Nephilim Irvin Nephilim, you should see the size shirts he wears, I would be swimming in them

Noah: funny you mention swimming?

House Holder: you would not believe the honeymoon they have planned forty fun filled days and forty exciting nights on Mount Ararat it should be nice if the weather stays as it is

Noah: I would not count on it, you see

House Holder: sorry I’ll have to go now

(Going inside to his wife, he says) What a strange Guy that was at the door

Wife: who was it dear?

House Holder: don’t really know some preacher of righteousness and he sure smelled like animals maybe he owns a pet shop, well are we ready to go now dear?

Wife: yes but I think I will wear this hat because it sure looks like rain

Yes! Yes we do! We love Jesus and the example he set for all true Christians! (2 Peter 2:21) We're thankful for his Love of his God and Father. (John 14:31; 20:17) We're thankful for his love for us too! (Proverbs 8:31) We feel as fellow Christians in the Bible did, "there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has BEEN GIVEN among men by which we must get saved." We are thankful for God giving us Jesus to buy us out of what Adam sold us into--condemned to sin and death. Our ministry is based on Jesus ministry and his commission to true Christians at Matthew 28:19,20. We honor Jehovah God as Jesus did! Yes! We believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Jehovah God! (Proverbs 30:4) Visit JW.ORG to learn more about Jehovah's Witnesses (Isaiah 43:10-12)

WHAT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES BELIEVE

Belief Scriptural Reason

Bible is God's Word and is truth 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; 2 Pet. 1:20, 21; John 17:17

Bible is more reliable than tradition Matt. 15:3; Col. 2:8

God's name is Jehovah Ps. 83:18; Isa. 26:4; 42:8, AS; Ex. 6:3

Christ is God's Son and is second to Him Matt. 3:17; John 8:42; 14:28; 20:17; 1 Cor. 11:3; 15:28

Christ was first of God's creations Col. 1:15; Rev. 3:14

Christ died on a stake, not a cross Gal. 3:13; Acts 5:30

Christ's human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans Matt. 20:28; 1 Tim. 2:5, 6; 1 Pet. 2:24

Christ's one sacrifice was sufficient Rom. 6:10; Heb. 9:25-28

Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person 1 Pet. 3:18; Rom. 6:9; Rev. 1:17, 18

Christ's presence is in spirit John 14:19; Matt. 24:3; 2 Cor. 5:16; Ps. 110:1, 2

We are now in the 'time of the end' Matt. 24:3-14; 2 Tim. 3:1-5; Luke 17:26-30

Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace Isa. 9:6, 7; 11:1-5; Dan. 7:13, 14; Matt. 6:10

Kingdom will bring ideal living conditions to earth Ps. 72:1-4; Rev. 7:9, 10, 13-17; 21:3, 4

God will eliminate present system of things in the battle at Armageddon Rev. 16:14, 16; Zeph. 3:8; Dan. 2:44; Isa. 34:2; 55:10, 11

Wicked will be eternally destroyed Matt. 25:41-46; 2 Thess. 1:6-9

People God approves will receive everlasting life John 3:16; 10:27, 28; 17:3; Mark 10:29, 30

There is only one road to life Matt. 7:13, 14; Eph. 4:4, 5

Human death is due to Adam's sin Rom. 5:12; 6:23

The human soul ceases to exist at death Ezek. 18:4; Eccl. 9:10; Ps. 6:5; 146:4; John 11:11-14

Hell is mankind's common grave Job 14:13, Dy; Rev. 20:13, 14, AV (margin)

Hope for dead is resurrection 1 Cor. 15:20-22; John 5:28, 29; 11:25, 26

Adamic death will cease 1 Cor. 15:26, 54; Rev. 21:4; Isa. 25:8

Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ Luke 12:32; Rev. 14:1, 3; 1 Cor. 15:40-53; Rev. 5:9, 10

The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God 1 Pet. 1:23; John 3:3; Rev. 7:3, 4

New covenant is made with spiritual Israel Jer. 31:31; Heb. 8:10-13

Prayers are to be directed only to Jehovah through Christ John 14:6, 13, 14; 1 Tim. 2:5

Images should not be used in worship Ex. 20:4, 5; Lev. 26:1; 1 Cor. 10:14; Ps. 115:4-8

Satan is invisible ruler of world 1 John 5:19; 2 Cor. 4:4; John 12:31

For further information & learn more - you may wish to get in touch with Jehovah's Witnesses at the local Kingdom Hall. Or: <watchtower.org>

Jehovah’s Witnesses today are often spoken against, and it would be a mistake to expect to learn the truth about them from prejudiced sources. So we are pleased to explain to you some of our principal beliefs.

We believe that “all Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial.” (2 Timothy 3:16) And although some have claimed that we are not really Christians, this is simply not true. We endorse completely the apostle Peter’s testimony regarding Jesus Christ: “There is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”—Acts 4:12.

However, since Jesus said that he is “God’s Son” and that the “Father sent me forth,” Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that God is greater than Jesus. (John 10:36; 6:57) Jesus himself acknowledged: “The Father is greater than I am.” (John 14:28; 8:28) Thus we do not believe that Jesus is equal with the Father, as the Trinity doctrine says. Rather, we believe that he was created by God and that he is subordinate to Him.—Colossians 1:15; 1 Corinthians 11:3.

In the English language, God’s name is Jehovah. The Bible says: “Thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.” (Psalm 83:18, "King James Version".) In keeping with this declaration, Jesus placed great emphasis on God’s name, teaching his followers to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” And he himself prayed to God: “I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me.”—Matthew 6:9; John 17:6.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that they should be like Jesus in making God’s name and purposes manifest to others. Hence we have taken the name Jehovah’s Witnesses because we imitate Jesus, “the Faithful Witness.” (Revelation 1:5; 3:14) Appropriately, Isaiah 43:10 says to God’s representative people: “‘You are my witnesses,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant whom I have chosen.’”

It is not possible here to cover all the beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses, but we invite you to obtain further information.

The Bible is not the source of popular religious and secular holidays that are celebrated in many parts of the world today. The origin of such celebrations are pagan. Note what reference books say about holidays that are popular:

Easter. “There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament,” states 'The Encyclopædia Britannica'. How did Easter get started? It is rooted in pagan worship. While this holiday is supposed to commemorate Jesus’ resurrection, the customs associated with the Easter season are not Christian. For instance, concerning the popular “Easter bunny,” 'The Catholic Encyclopedia' says: “The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility.”

Halloween. 'The Encyclopedia Americana' says: “Elements of the customs connected with Halloween can be traced to a Druid [ancient Celtic priesthood] ceremony in pre-Christian times. The Celts had festivals for two major gods—a sun god and a god of the dead . . . , whose festival was held on November 1, the beginning of the Celtic New Year. The festival of the dead was gradually incorporated into Christian ritual.”

Valentine’s Day. 'The World Book Encyclopedia' informs us: “Valentine’s Day comes on the feast day of two different Christian martyrs named Valentine. But the customs connected with the day . . . probably come from an ancient Roman festival called Lupercalia which took place every February 15. The festival honored Juno, the Roman goddess of women and marriage, and Pan, the god of nature.”—(1973), Vol. 20, p. 204.

Other Holidays. It is not possible to discuss all the observances held throughout the world. However, holidays that exalt humans or human organizations are not acceptable to Jehovah. (Jeremiah 17:5-7; Acts 10:25, 26) Keep in mind, too, that the origin of religious celebrations has a bearing on whether they please God or not. (Isaiah 52:11; Revelation 18:4)

Funny how all the JW insulter's & JW's are a culters jump in to answer when clearly a JW would be the best to answer this question.

They like to point out what they perceive as flaws & most without understanding why JW's believe what they believe totally ignoring the flaws in their own faiths.

I recommend if you really want to know go to their official website or talk to a JW face to face , you do not know what bull you are being fed here .

• If you really want to know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe in, but you don't want links to our official web site, then you have to let us answer your question.

You can either accept or reject our answers, but you should at least show us the courtesy of allowing us to answer, since you asked. Others (non-Witnesses) do not know our religion as well as we do, and many will misrepresent our religion.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible

Our official website can help you:

or

http://www.jw-media.org/

***EDIT***

You said:

" I do it because I want to spend time with my family, or I like dressing up(Im kind of artsy so I like making costumes), or I want to give a gift of appreciation to my loved ones and so I find it a good and useful tradition. Its what I make it, not what other people tell me it is or used to be hundreds of years ago. No?"

That is a legitiamte thought. Many feel the way you do. However do you need to wait for a specific date of the year to get with your loved ones or your family to enjoy a good time or exchange gifts?

Antoher thing to keep in mind is that just because we like to do them for our OWN reasons doesn't make them right. Jehovah's Witnesses try to do their best to do what pleases God and according to Scriptures God doesn't change when it comes to worshiping him, despite traditions do.

Malachi 3:6 (NIV) says:

"I the LORD do not change.

Just because people put a pretty bow around things to make them look good does not make them right. Our concern is to please God and him alone! Just to give you a Scriptural answer to your thoughts on the matter, when the Israelites had just left Egypt, after they had been in the desert for a while and Moses was on Mount Sinai they took it upon them to make a golden calf. Do you remember that? They wanted to call it "a festival to the Lord" making somthing pagan into somthing "legitimate" according to THEM. However God was displeased with that action and that day alone 3,000 people died. It is true that people don't do any kind of "worship" today when it comes to the holidays but the reasons behind them are wrong and the principle of the account I just gave you apply the same way! I hope this will give you some sort of idea behind our motives and our desire to please Jehovah.

• rosa

Very good Mican and Tyler! Do you think that David read what You wrote?