hi. asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

How do I find my house/land history, just online, no library or courthouse?

Is it possible? It is 10:30pm and I want to find this. We think there may be a spirit here; and we would like to find the history. Please; if anyone knows how; tell me! Please!

Favorite Answer

You are not going to find it on-line.

Death records are kept by name, not address. Even then, only two states (Missouri and West Virginia) have any death certificates on-line, and their collections are far from complete. There are states which have death indexes on-line, but they have town or county, nothing more specific. Death certificates and obituaries are the only two records I know of that mention where a person died. (Newspaper articles too, if the person had one; usually that would be if a child drowned or a family died in a fire.)

It would be physically possible to find out who lived in your house, by going to the courthouse or the library, then looking up the obituaries of everyone with those surnames in old newspapers. Obituaries will usually say "died at her home" or "died in a local hospital". But - if John and Mary Smith lived at 1234 Elm Street, and her aunt, Elizabeth Hickenlooper, lived in a back bedroom and died there, you wouldn't find "Hickenlooper" in the tax records or city directory, so you would not know to look for her obituary.

It would take you 40 - 80 hours to assemble a history of your house, at a minimum, assuming you had acess to census records, a death index for your county, and some research experience. If you've never done genealogy, you would be starting from scratch, so double the estimate.

The best you can do is ask your neighbors in the morning.

History Of My Land

At 10:30 at night there are no library or courthouses open. If you want to find the history of property, you need to research the deed, There are several municipal offices there the records could be in, but I would start by calling the recorders office, they can tell you where land records are kept in your community. Your research should be done the same as Genealogical research is, start with yourself and work backward

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 35+ years

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): find house land history online library courthouse: https://shortly.im/W8tH7

Try assessment records. Every state has a department for taxes and assessments. Click on it for your state. Then search for your county or parish. Type in the street address of the property. The result should give the title history of the property, who were the prior owners, when the property changed hands, for what amount and the current appraised value. Some of this info should answer some of your questions.

Source(s): Appealed assessment.
  • Sorry, there is no db for such info. It would be nice...who wants to move into a house where someone died? Or had some such disease as TB?

The best you can do is ask neighbors...

Source(s): life

Hmm. I don't know but I love the smell in there and they have the most amazing rocking chairs looking out a window onto a hillside...Ah!