Sarah asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Can Baking power replace yeast?

Can Baking power replace yeast in a Biscuit and/or cinnamon raraisinread recipe?

Favorite Answer

in essence, no.

sure, they both serve as leavening agents, but each does so in their own way.

by using baking powder, you are not replacing yeast, you are making a different product, which will have an entirely different texture and taste.

Source(s): i'm a culinary instructor.

Yes, you can substitute yeast for baking power and/or soda. I've done it before for banana muffins, and it turned out very good; they rose quite well. For my particular recipe of 10 muffins, what I mixed the sugar and 2 tsp. active dry yeast in a measuring cup with about 50 mL of some of the liquid ingredients, which I pre-heated in order to activate the yeast. Then I proceeded as usual. The quicker you activate and the more you feed the yeast, the better. The yeast will produce gas just like baking powder/soda does. In fact, I like using yeast better because it doesn't add a bitter flavor baking soda and powder do. Sugar masks that bitter taste, which is why you almost never see baking powder or soda for non-sweet recipes.

No, baking powder is fast acting. Yeast takes time to rise. Check out recipezaar.com and it will tell you what to use.

yes

Source(s): www.baking911.com