I need replacement cartridges for my printer. They cost about £2 less than the printer. Why?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Many companies sell the printer at a loss, and jack up the prices of the consumables.

You only buy one printer, you buy many many sets of cartridges.

Insult to injury - all companies ship their printers with trial cartridges which are only good to print a fraction of the pages a new cartridge will.

• 10 years ago

If your cartridges have a foil strip on them or a little chip then this is the print head which is the 'brain' of the printer. the printer itself will be just be a shell. this is why the cartrides will be more expensive. lexmark are the prime culprits of this, you can buy a lexmark printer for less than 20 quid!! but cartridges will cost you £30!!!

My suggestion would be to get a canon printer with the individual colour cartridges as this works out much more cost effective. when you have a colour cartridge with all 3 colours in it and say for example you print a lot of pictures with blue sky in it, when the blue colour runs out, you have to replace the whole cartridge even if the yellow and red are still full!!

Source(s): Used to manufacture laser and inkjet cartridges
  • 10 years ago

I would buy compatible cartridges since the cost of originals is almost as much as the printer,you have nothing to lose. Printer makers will take a small profit on a printer to make vast profits from ink.

• 10 years ago

printers are sold at a loss, most companies will sell you there printer at probably production cost, or just under. They know your stuck with them now.

The ink is more expensive then the printer, this is because it's the only way you can make them richer, that is the only way they can make a profit.

i had contemplated just throwing the printer away, or selling it, and buying a new one with ink in it, but realised there only partially filled. so rather then that, i bought unbranded ones off of Ebay.

my HP cartridges, (there's 6 of them)cost £25 each, found them on Ebay, unbranded (make sure you buy unbranded, and not empty ones, because people sell empty ones for people to refill, doesn't work well sometimes) for £2.50 each. wish i bought more now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • suki
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

cos they know they've got us by the short an curlies cos they think no other cartridges will fit....it's all money making

there are sites around that you can get cheaper, copies of cartridges from....and in my experience the end result is just as good at half the price....look around on the internet and don't get the manufacturers ones

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Because they enjoy a massive profit margin on ink. If you don't need colour buy a monochrome laser next time as the toner costs less per page than any ink.

• 10 years ago

'Cause they know you need them.

It's the same way with razors.. they practically give you the razor, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for the replacement blades.

• 10 years ago

Get a Kodak all in one. £6 b&w and £9 colour

• 10 years ago

anything other than epson are a rip off,i can get epson cartridges for a quid each at my local branch.

• oscar
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

999inks.com best price for a lot of ink

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.