Can I sell a car that failed emissions?

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy that recently failed emissions and has been driving on a rejection sticker for about a month now. It need's a new catalytic converter and new o2 sensors. It was estimated about $1,300.00 to fix. I really didn't want to pay 1,300 to fix it because it's an old car with alot of... show more I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy that recently failed emissions and has been driving on a rejection sticker for about a month now. It need's a new catalytic converter and new o2 sensors. It was estimated about $1,300.00 to fix. I really didn't want to pay 1,300 to fix it because it's an old car with alot of miles.

So I threw the car up on craigslist for alot less than KBB and NADA value. In the listing I stated that the car would not pass emissions and already has a rejection sticker. I also said that the buyer will be responsible to repair the car before it can be driven legally.

I recently got an email from some random person telling me that what I'm doing is illegal and I cannot sell a vehicle that won't emissions for more than $700.00 dollars. I live in MA and this law or whatever does not make any sense to me. What if I had a $30,000 dollar BMW that failed emissions. I could only sell it for $700.00?