Can I access my personnel file from a previous employer?

I was recently terminated and am currently trying to write a resume.It would be a more effective resume if I had certain information thats contained in my file.What are they legally obliged to send me if I request it?
Update: Im interested in reviews and classes that i took while i was employed there...not my resume or application.
Update 2: I live in New York and was employed for nine years.I did have copies of all my reviews but unfortunately left them behind.I do remember some information but cant recall dates or all the training that i received...the list is quite extensive.As far as being able to review my file,they no longer keep hard copies at... show more I live in New York and was employed for nine years.I did have copies of all my reviews but unfortunately left them behind.I do remember some information but cant recall dates or all the training that i received...the list is quite extensive.As far as being able to review my file,they no longer keep hard copies at our local location.Everything is sent to our home office in another state.