Joseph
Joseph asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

I'm spanish native speaker and I don't find a difference between "V" and "B" in English!?

Well, I'm very tired of trying to find a difference between these two sounds, so I quit, lol. I gave in!!!! Is it so bad if I pronounce my English words using the spanish "b" Some of my friend have said there are some problems when trying to guess what I'm saying, ya know, bote or vote, ball or val. what do you think? Is this a terrible way of speaking English?

On the other side, I've heard a lot of gringos saying the "English" r" when they're speaking spanish and it's fine, we understand them anyway.

Best Answer

You know...people love an accent. Any accent. It's exotic, and romantic. Quit worrying too much, but here you go:

The problem is that you are trying to read the letters as YOU pronounce them, and they are very similar in some places. In English, for a B, you put your lips together, and stop the air. It's called a "bilabial stop". It's almost like a P, except that the p has a puff of air, too.

For a V, you put your top teeth on your bottom lip, and let a little air out...it's called a "vocalized labiodental fricative". It's closer to an F. which allows more air through.

You'll be understood, most of the time, but you might have to spell once in a while. It's okay, we have to do so as well. There are many homonyms in English...there, their, they're, etc. And sometimes people have to spell to clarify.

No biggie. We'll like you anyway.

• .x

The letter V is pronounced by putting your top teeth on your bottom lip. B is pronounced by pursing your lips, similar to the letter P.

Yeah, its not really that great. There are a lot of words where it could cause problems I think. Its not a huge problem though, just that its pretty noticeable when people do that. If you can't get it, don't worry about it but personally I'd try a little more.

Also, R is still an R even if you pronounce it hard instead of rolled. V and B are two totally different letters?

• Darrel

Using a wrong sound when both the right one and the wrong one exist in a language can be confusing for some words. It depends on your personality and the person you are talking to. I have spent my whole life around spanish speakers, so V or B issues are no big deal. If I can't tell and it's not obvious, I ask. I think most people are this way, but I know there are a few out there that seem to take it all personally.

Yes there is a difference. The /v/ sound is more subtle than the /b/ sound. I can understand how you may not see a difference between the two since I always used to pronounce the Spanish v like and English v and nobody ever noticed a difference. I did this out of bad habit. Anyway, it will be okay if you speak like this although it sounds a little funny when a Spanish speaker says words like dvd and pronounces them dbd.

http://ir.lib.ibaraki.ac.jp/bitstream/10109/103/1

/200700022.pdf

http://www.vec.ca/spanish/11/pronunciacion-ingles....

Try this. No te preocupes pero trata de mejorar tu pronunciación ya que sí existe una diferencia entre ambas letras.

Its close enough that people can understand you, so communication is not a huge issue.

but there is a difference. V is more like putting the top teeth on the lip and vibrating, V is between the lip and the teeth. B is more like putting the lips together and popping out a little air to make the B sound, not teeth involved, its between the lips.

Im sorry I dont know a better way to explain it....

hopefully someone has a clear way to put that

but Hope it helps...

The V sound causes your top teeth to touch your bottom lip. Pronouncing the B sound, you can't do this. So try saying bote as you wrote, but touch your top few teeth to the middle of your bottom lip and you will be able to hear a little bit of a difference.

Source(s): Helped my spanish speaking fiance with the same problem! :)

I think most of the time it would be easy to figure out which word you're saying based on the context. I know I could never roll my r's in Spanish class, so I certainly couldn't criticize anyone for pronouncing something wrong.

I know what you mean my hispanic friend says Bid-eo instead of Vid-eo. Its not necessarily bad, but its easier for you to succeed if you master the language so people will have less chances to discriminate you (though some will anyway). Americans kind of have a our way or the highway mentality :/

Source(s): college

Al menos te puedo responder en español. Yo tampoco entendía la diferencia hasta el año pasado, que me metí a clases de alemán en la universidad. Ellos diferencian "V" y "B" de la misma forma que se hace en inglés y que nosotros los latinoamericanos (imagino que lo eres, al igual que yo ¿Eres de Chile?) deberíamos hacerlo, pero no. Mira la "B" de barco se pronuncia juntando los labios al principio, mientras que la "V" de vaca; juntando los dientes de arriba con el labio inferior (como que te los mordieras levemente). Por eso es que "B" suena más "fuerte" que "V" (es como que juntas más aire dentro de la boca).

Espero que te ayude e inténtalo, que así aprendí yo.

Source(s): Native speaker from Chile

B es como en español y v es como mordiendo tus labios con los dientes de arriba y soplar como f y decir b