Jazz asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Low Carb Vegetarian Lunches&Dinners?

I am a vegetarian, have been for a couple of months now. But i am having trouble finding good vegetarian lunches and dinners, that aren't full of carbs. Because what i do now, and what i have been doing is just eating those boca burgers on bread for lunch and dinner. Any who to make it short basically i am eating a lot of carbs, and i really want to cut back. So do you know of any low carb or no carb vegetarian lunches & Dinners? I am not a picky eater!

XOXO JAZZY

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The combination of carbs and protein stabilizes your blood sugar. What does this mean? When you eliminate carbs from a meal, your body will not have the fuel you need to carry you to the next meal. Tomorrow, eliminate carbs for the day (or a few days) and see what I mean. You will be hungry all day and crave sugar and carbs. You'll feel run down or a little achy. Try to substitute healthy carbs like wheat bread, brown rice, oats, fruit, quinoa, couscous, sweat potato, etc. Eating these will prevent cravings for junk and you'll feel better.

Ideas:

Smoothie-

Two or three wholes fruits, 1 cup soy milk, one cup protein powder

Peanut butter and Jelly on wheat bread

Portabella Burger:

One mushroom the size of your bread or bun. sprinkle with olive oil and a dry steak seasoning. Cook on medium heat for three to five minutes of each side. Now assemble it with lettuce, tomato, pickle, or favorite sauces.

Chili:

Soak two cups of dried beans (black/pinto) overnight. Turn crock pot on low. Add beans, 1/2 cup each of celery, tomato, peppers or anything else you like in chili. Add 7 cups of water and a handful of chili seasoning that you can find in the store. Set the timer for 8 hours.

Here are some more...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Carbs aren't bad for you! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

There are two types of carbs - simple and complex.

Simple carbs are found in things such as sugar, soda, white bread/pasta, fast food, cookies, etc.

Complex carbs are found in things such as whole grain bread/pasta, Fruits and Veggies, Peanut Butter, Oats, Etc.

Once it comes to carbs stick to the complex!

Making the switch you will find that you won't be eating as much of the crappy stuff.

But here are some of my favorite vegetarian lunches/dinners:

- Mixed Greens, 1/4 cup of strawberries, 6 stripes of morning star farms chickn. Top with italian dressing.

- 1 can of chickpeas, drained. 1/2 bottle BBQ sauce. (Mix together. Microwave for about 2 minutes. This makes about four servings) Serve on top of brown rice.

- Veggie Burgers are extremely low in carb. Switch to whole grain for the bun and you should be perfect. Serve with veggies like broccoli, green beans, etc.

• 1 decade ago

well generally vegetables that are greener in color are lower in carbs, sprouts are low in carbs, eggplants.

what i actually do is have all my carb heavy food before 12pm and keep all my light eating for after that. works out pretty well. so at night ill saute some veggies by themselves, or make a light vegetable soup, or grilled mushrooms and veggies and keep all the tasty stuff for lunch

• 1 decade ago

You could make something like a wrap using a lettuce leaf and a few fillings of your choice. Check out my source below for ideas.

Five Pepper Hummus

Ingredients

* 1 large green bell pepper

* 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained

* 4 fresh jalapeno peppers

* 1 (16 ounce) jar banana peppers, drained

* 1 clove garlic

* 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper

* 2 tablespoons ground black pepper

* 1/4 cup tahini

Directions

1. Remove top 1/4 of the green bell pepper, keeping bottom part intact to use for serving the hummus. Discard stem, and remove seeds and pulp from both parts of the pepper.

2. Chop top part of pepper, and place in a blender or food processor with garbanzo beans, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and tahini. Blend into a smooth paste. Scoop into the bottom part of the green bell pepper to serve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Low-carb vegetarian is an oxymoron. Meat has no carbs and lots of protein.

• 4 years ago

I bet you have only had that nasty white rflabby stuff called tofu from a supermarket in the refridgerated aection next to the alfalfa sprouts. If so, you havn'e had fresh hot tofu, which is NOTHING like that stuff. Fresh tofu is warm tasting, nutty, crumbly like bread, it is SO tasty. I hate that white tubs stuff, in water, it's completely gross and tasteless. Fresh stuff is hard, dry, chewy. Baked todu is rich, dense, thick and very chewy, it's pressed down and resembles a steak or thick mushroom steak, really tasty and they marinade it with spices. Look for a good Thai or Chinese supermarket to get it, it's completely different. Low carb- lentils, pinto beans, nuts, mushrooms, yoghurt, cheese almond cheese, soyyoghurt, seitan, gluten, ( mock duck it's fantastic) imitation crab. Lots of things if you really go looking, and I'd find a good Asian market, because you don't find jack squat in the average American supermarket.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ceasar Salad girl mmmmmmmmmmm

and chick pea soup and chilli's

yummmy.

im not vegetarian but i lalalaluv those foods

• Jorjor
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

We need good carbs. eat whole grain pastas and whole grain breads. these are better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.