I am looking into buying a rifle that has a muzzle brake on it, good or bad decision?

I want to get a rifle that is a .300 Remington Model 700 and it has a muzzle brake on it. I really like this rifle but I have asked different people about the brake on it and I get different Positives and Negatives about it. The great part I know about it is the recoil reduction part, which I'd love to have with the .300 Mag, but the bad part that I hear is that it's hard to keep clean of dirt or mud while you keep it in your truck or it gets stuff in it on the ATV while going to the stand, others say it hurts the accuracy of the gun since all this gets into the holes of the brake. Help me out guys!!!!!! BUY OR DON"T BUY??????

P.S. I made a mistake, it's not a BOSS sytem it is just a simple Muzzle Brake on the barrel. You can't turn it up or down to make more accurate with different size Grains. SORRY..

2nd P.S.... I always use hearing protection so loudness really doesn't worry me so much... Thanks..

Best Answer

You'll love it. The 300 Win Mag or the 300 RUM are both extremely accurate. The Rem 700 is an excellent and very accurate rifle. The muzzle brake is a blessing --- I have them on 8 rifles that I own. It reduces the recoil greatly. It feels like you are shooting a 30-06 instead of a 300 Magnum -- big difference. You can spend hours at the shooting range with a 300 Magnum with a muzzle brake. BTW --- usually the muzzle brake can be unscrewed from the barrel to clean it. The usually charge about $150 to $200 to add a muzzle brake to a rifle. Only 1 caution: The sound level is extremely loud if anyone is standing off to the side of your rifle when you fire it. Keep the ear protection handy -- it is loud. RP

I have had three of them. Two were on heavy recoiling handguns and one was on a rifle. One of the hadndgun muzzlebrakes was an add on and one was integral to the barrel and came that way from the factory. That one was on a Taurus Raging Bull that was chambered for the .454 Casull cartridge. It worked great. The other handgun muzzlebreak was an aftermarket and was cut into the barrel itself. I am coming up with a blank right now as far as the name of the company that did the work but they are well advertised in the gun mags. I think they use a lazer to cut the openings. It was on a .44 mag and seemed to do a pretty darned good job of reducing the recoil. The rifle muzzle brake was on a .30-06 Ruger Number 1. It was my first muzzlebrake and I just did it on a whim. It was a custom made one made by the gunsmith in Texas where I had my gunsmithing done. He did a beautiful job and it reduced the recoil of the .30-06 down to about like a .243. So, that is my experience with muzzlebrakes. They work. If you have one custom made as I did, be sure to look at some of his previous jobs before letting him work on yours. I looked at one smith's work at a gun show and he was a real hack when it came to making muzzlebrakes. His work was rough and the brake didn't blend in wihtn the barrel smoothly. Mine blended in so well, that some people thought it was cut into the barrel rather than being screwed on. Anoterh thing to remember about a muzzlebrake is that it will significantly increase the noise that you and others around you will hear. This is due to the gasses being directed out to the side rather than going straight downrange. You will likely get complanits from anyhone shooting next to you at a range. Also, if you are hunting from an enclosed blind, make absolutely sure that the muzzle is outside the blind when you fire or you will be sorry. It will sound as if a handgrenade went off in your blind.

• larry

The 300 Remington ULTRAMagnum needs and deserves a muzzle brake if anything does! And forget shooting it ONE single time ANYWHERE without VERY GOOD hearing protection, as that one shot will surely cause some degree of PERMANENT hearing loss. An indoor shot might rupture both eardrums, given the use of a muzzle brake which routes some of the blast back a lot. Without the muzzle brake, the phrase "kills on both ends" will take on proverbial status.

One must ask about now, what can you do with a 300 RUM (braked or not) that you can't do BETTER with a regular 338?

I installed a custom muzzle brake on my 338 Win Mag. The rifle will now put 3 bullets in the same hole at 200 yards - and - the recoil has been reduced by almost half. Feel more like a 30-06 now.

Much louder. But, I love it!!

Hope this helps.

a muzzle brake is good for reducing the recoil, it just depends on how dirty your going to get with the rifle, if going into seriously bad situations, I'd say no muzzle brake, if in reasonable conditions, it won't be a problem.

the muzzle brake will never ruin the accuracy as long as the holes are clear for the gases to escape.

For my gun that kicked like a mule I bought a Limbsaver butt cover and it really took the bite out of the recoil.

If you don't care about the cost or the noise of a muzzle brake I see no reason not to get it.

Muzzle brakes should never be used on hunting rifles. It has nothing to do with keeping them clean (although that's a consideration) but simply because they're so darned loud. There are guides who simply won't allow a rifle with a brake, in order to save their hearing. It isn't as if you're likely to send a hundred rounds downrange in a single day, anyway, with your hunting rifle.

If you are worried about the recoil, the answer is to downgrade cartridge of choice, not install a break.

What will you ask of the 300 Ultramag that the standard 300 winmag or the 30-06/270 is incapable of doing?

A muzzle brake helps with stability. Who says you shouldn't have it on. I mean what will it take, 3 minutes of cleaning to get mud off it?

if you get a muzzle brake you NEED hearing protection, i put one on my sks and it reduced the recoil to a bit more than that of a .22 and made it ridiculously loud and you can actually fell a shockwave when firing it