a ha ! asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

Why do Americans keep saying that Chinese government restricts internet?

Hello! I am a Chinese netizens. I hear western media and leaders falsely accusing the Chinese government restricting the Internet’s “free flow of information”, so called “open and free network”, “do not restrict the use and access of the internet”, I felt baffled.

First of all, Chinese government does not restrict internet users to use and access the Internet. I am a commentary writer; I spend most of my free time on the internet, looking for news, looking for different angles, writing reviews, expressing my views and opinions, and sometimes giving my personal comments and suggestions to the Government. So far, I have published thousands of articles, millions of words on uncountable websites like People’s daily, Xinhua and China Net etc. The government never give me any warnings and notices to tell me not go get on the internet or not to express my personal views.

Secondly, I do not find information on the network unable to flow freely. 9 Am this morning, I turned on my computer, and went on People’s Daily, Xinhua, China News, Sina, Sohu, Netease, IFeng and other major websites. I can open and view information about politics, economic, military, sports, entertainment and current affairs. I sent an email to my friend “Yixiao”and Netizen “Yixiao” got my email quickly. I also chat with my friends on QQ group and never was affected by anything or noticed any information not able to flow.

Why western media keep bashing China for restricting internet?

Favorite Answer

The sites you mentioned are already pre-screened and approved of by your govt so naturally you could view them all day long. I dont understand why Yahoo Taiwan, Yahoo Hong Kong and many Taiwan's and Hong Kong's media websites are blocked so are many western websites. You guys are so eager to re-unite with Taiwan, but you're demonstrating a very bad side of the picture to Taiwanese people, how can you convince people in Taiwan that your life is the same as theirs when Taiwanese are free to view and talk whatever they like and people in Mainland simply cannot.

• ?

Not only will western media bash on China for restricting internet access. Other countries dislike it as well. Youtube for me is a very helpful site. I know this sounds silly to some, but I learned a lot of basic computer skills like photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, corel draw, I even learned how to change my PSP theme. For us, youtube is information and entertainment in one. Pres Obama even answered questions from citizens in youtube....can the present situation in China's Great Firewall do that?

Dewcoons is right. I just saw an American news show, Good Morning America. They said Google was deciding whether or not to pull out of the search engine business with China because of the filters. It's too much work and restrictions for the money Google said.

• ?

Because it's true, maybe? Of course you won't feel the internet is "restricted," because you have never had a taste of the real, unblocked internet. Many websites in China are blocked, along with controversial topics that would make the government look bad, such as a particular incident in 1989 in a particular square in a particular city. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are a few of the blocked websites. In addition, points of view that go against the established government are also blocked. It is suppression of dissent and knowledge. A very unfortunate situation.

uhmm because it is? I live in China and im not Chinese and i no what its like to not have restricted internet use. IT IS RESTRICTED IN CHINA. i cant get on facebook, youtube, and a lot of other western sites as well. The sites you are using are all chinese so of course they arent blocked. But for those of use who dont speak or write chinese feel the impact of the restricted internet use.

Source(s): living it.

The mentioned websites you go to are not blocked in China.

Why not try something like facebook, youtube, twitter or some of the "free tibet" websites.

Who can't forget the internet deals the Olympic Committee had with China for 2008.

Please, when trying to "teach" Westerners about the "facts" of China it is always good that you read some for yourself.

You mentioned all those websites that are not blocked, what about Youtube, Facebook, Blogspot and several others?

Yours looks like a typical 50 cent post.

here are some links about how the internet is restricted there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_i...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_websi...

just because you dont see it or feel it doesnt mean its not going on. all the sites you mentioned accessing are state run newspapers, so obviously those are not going to be blocked.

i know people from china who have been here and say they cant believe some of the stuff we have access too.

like, you may not have experience with any of it simply because your not trying to access any of it

in fact based on the list of restricted websites i put up, youll be lucky if wikipedia even works

My question is, "In WHICH China are you living???", because i happen to be in the PRC, and i would confidently say that the internet is restricted. What was your reaction when your government decided that all newly-built computer should have a built-in software to control their information, to spy on them, yes, i know they claimed that it was meant to protect users against porn or whatever, but we all know that it wasn't true.

All the websites you have named are "Chinese websites", what about "Facebook, twitter, youtube. imdb, dailymotion, blogs..."they are all blocked, and ironically their "Chinese-clones" work properly (Youtube/Youku; Facebook/xiaonei,kaixin001; twitter/taotao...), what i think is, they block those websites because it is really easy for them to control state run websites, like the ones you named, but relatively hard to control the flow of information on foreign website.

The government never give you any warning because you publish what they want you to publish, you publish what they think is good for brain-washed people like you to read, and on top of that, i will just ask you google things like "Human rights, tiananmen massacre, Laogai aka reform through labor..." I bet you won't find any results, and also one thing, google any political information on google.cn, at the bottom of the page, the following is written : "据当地法律法规和政策,部分搜索结果未予显示" which literally means "According to local laws, regulations and policies, some search results are not shown".......

They block certain websites like social networking sites and video websites like Youtube