Making homemade kosher Dill Pickles?

Last spring I dabbled in making Pickles for the first time, however what I ran into was not being able to find pickling cucumbers eigther in the stores or at the farmers markets that would work. Too many odd sizes, too old, no Dill available. So I did what I could with what I had to work with. Now I bought a package of Kosher Dill Mix that makes 7 quarts. I thought I'd give it a try this spring. My question is is there some place I could purchase the fresh pickling cucumbers that are pretty uniform in size and have them shipped to me?

Favorite Answer

J & D Produce, Inc. Edinburg, TX, United States

Pickling Cucumbers

* (956) 381-4152

Why don't you just grow your own pickling cucumbers? They only take about 45 - 50 days to grow and you can grow any amount you need or desire. Here is a site about growing them:

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/cucumber1.htm...

You should be able to find the seeds easily at any good nursery or online.

Wash a jar and some cucumbers. Mix a "Pickle Mix" they can be found in any grocery store with some vinegar in a pot and boil it. Fill the gar with cucumbers add the simmering juice. Put the jars a hot water bath for 1 hour. Let them sit for 2 weeks.

Pickling cucumbers are seasonal and available in the summer