crzycowgirl19 asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Indoor riding arena footing for a concrete base??

HELP! I need some ideas for what to use for footing in my indoor arena. My husband and I are converting a newer barn with concrete floors into a horse barn. One section of the barn is perfect for a riding arena, one problem, it has a CONCRETE floor. I hate the idea of using a concrete floor as a base for a riding arena but a lot of facilities have concrete floors with special footing over it so I know its not impossible or totally out of the ordinary. I want to make sure I keep my horses SAFE (my first priority of course! :) ) any ideas??

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Charm has it right in that you need something packed onto the concrete that will not break down allowing a hoof to hit the concrete.

Using a loam or sand on top of this alone will not stop the surface from moving so they will hit the hard surface so by adding chopped rubber it will hold the surface a lot more. It also gives a lot more bounce and the horses find it easier to work on.

If this is to expensive then a deep layer of wood bark works and rides well but it does eventually break down and need replacing.

Source(s): Experience
    • Login to reply the answers
  • poe
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Indoor Arena Footing

• 1 decade ago

Try rubber chips. The College I bought my horse from had two HUGE indoor arenas that had rubber chips as the footing. Its fabulous footing and doesn't get dusty in the summertime : ) Hope that helps!

• 1 decade ago

You can get rubber mats to put over the concrete but that may be expensive

You can get sand to put over the concrete

You could use them both for extra comfort if you have to spending limit ;]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • charm
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Very deep layer of packed dirt or crushed limestone, covered by a layer of loam mixed with rubberized footing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.